free website stats program 2009 FLHTCU headset | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 FLHTCU headset

Thanks for everyones reply. I still have no idea what I should replace the OEM headset with. I'm a little leary to spend the money on the BOOM setup not knowing for sure what was meant by "it seems to work better""than what came w/ the ultra". According to Glimmerman. "Seems to", leaves a lot to the imagination.

I bought the Boom headset for my half helmet. They maybe a little better than the headset that comes with your bike. The boom will not work with a 3/4 or full face helmet. It's a little tough getting the right sound out of those little speakers. I am riding a SERG and almost found the right setup for me. I have one more option to try. Earplug Speaker Adapters. I have some bose speakers I use with my ipod. The second item down on that page has a 7 pin plug and a plug for another headset. It's worth a try.

Well What I decided to do was to order a pair of J&M headset speakers. I'll try to replace the stock headset speakers with them. I have a soldering station so it sould not be to difficult for me. If it doesn't work out I'm only out $40 or so.

Hey guys...if nobody has tried this with the stock HD headset, give it a shot, it works. Get some foam rubber, like an old cushion or pillow and cut some foam to fit in the ear hole of your helmet. Cut out an opening for the speaker to set into. This takes a little trial & error to get it perfectly lined up with your ear canal opening for the best sound. Cover it with black cloth and glue it (I use 3M adhesive...or set it in loosely, but you'll be cussing that after it falls out a few times) into the ear opening on your helmet. It holds the speaker next to your ear (how tightly depends on how much foam you use) and you can hear the OEM headset soooo much better. Even the bluetooth cellphone module is understandable at speed now. It also quiets the outside noise and completely eliminates the wind noise.

yes hoggy25- "seems to" is the operative phrase. i have a hearing loss in the range of high pitch female voices. just like a wife screeching. guess that's why i'm single. speakers work fine for me but i usually have something jammed in my ears while riding. ipod phones or ear plugs. now i have a headset but so does she as well.

Well, we'll see how it goes when I try to replace the stock speakers. I too have some hearing problems especially with a very bad ringing in my left ear. I'll let everyone know when I get them.

First time I used the stock HD headset to listen to the radio I thought the headset was defective. If I tried to turn up the bass all I got was horrible distortion like I was severely over driving the helmet speakers. Even using the HD headset for talking to other bikes in the group I'm riding with, I have to have the volume turned all the way up and still have a hard time hearing the CB if I'm following a bike with loud pipes.

Well What I decided to do was to order a pair of J&M headset speakers. I'll try to replace the stock headset speakers with them. I have a soldering station so it sould not be to difficult for me. If it doesn't work out I'm only out $40 or so.

Same Ideal I have about replacing the speakers. I got a couple sets of regular headphones that sound great I'm going to use.
As they are now the headsets are worthless since I can't stand the way they sound. I may also try a couple of little LM385 amps on each side just to boast the volume a little.

Back