free website stats program 2009 Clutch Noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2009 Clutch Noise

I picked up my white gold pearl/pewter pearl '09 Ultra in September and have been dealing with this exact some problem ever since. It is currently in now for the third time. The dealer has adjusted my clutch three times, soaked my clutch plates in oil, checked the primary chain adjustment and went through my compensator....which did reveal a loose nut which, when tightened, helped some but did noe completely eliminate the problem. They are going to have a Motor Co. rep take a look at it next week while he's there. I've been riding since high school, which translates to 30 something years and have never had this noise on any bike I've had, including four different Harleys. It's aggravating, especially in stop and go traffic!!!! It does sound like there's too much freeplay in something.
Hello Hooch

Please keep us 09 guys updated

I would really appreciate it

Ride Safe
BuffaloBILL

Ok, I have to ask if any of your problems with the "clacking" "chattering" clutch noise has been resolved.

It also sounded to me like marbles in a tin can.

I "Had" an 08 FLHX Street Glide.

At times when I was letting the clutch out in 1st gear I would hear this. It did not do this in any other gear.
The noise did not happen all the time and temperature or ride time did not seam to make a difference. I could "make" the noise happen most times especially if I was stopped on a hill and "let" the clutch out to the point it would happen. Another way was to create a load by grabbing the front break, giving it throttle and letting out the clutch.

When I asked a service manager about it I got the "lighter clutch springs" and it is normal.

I got to the point that I ignored it or tried to minimize it by letting the clutch out faster.

I took it to a dealer for the 5k service and brought up my concern. I was sitting in the service department when the mechanic was going to take it for the after service ride and he went to start out and he stopped and was looking down to one side and then the other. He starts out again and stops and calls over another guy and tells him to put his hand on the transmission cover to feel for something.
he goes for a ride and comes back.
They want me to leave it there so they can tear down the transmission and "Have a Look".
Long story short I had just moved to the new area and took it to the closesest dealer but after looking at the service department and watching the workers I wasn't sure about the place.

I decided to take it to a HD dealer a little farther away with a good reputation. I explained to them what was going on and told them I had it to the other dealer and what took place.

They removed the primary and checked it out and found everything to be "normal".
They tell me Tech took it for a ride and returned and they called HD to get permission to take primary off again.
I wasn't told this but he must have heard the noise or why would they want to take it apart a 2nd time.
After 2 weeks and 2 checks they claim everything is operating correctly.
They tell me it has a "service ticket" and if I have a problem in the future it would be covered.

It was Fall and as I rode home and pulled it into the garage it made the noise.

I sold the SG.

It is Crazy how many other post there are on here about things wrong with these bikes and I guess I should have done some more reading.

Other things I did not like about my 08 SG.

The throttle would be high when you start it up and continue when you ride unless you stop and turn the ignition switch back and forth a number of times and do a little dance and a prayer so it would go down.
(I guess there is some mapping now that can take care of this or so I have read)

If I wanted to ride faster through curves the bike just felt loose like the front wanted to wash out or the back felt squirlly. (after reading some others post I see I was not alone in thinking this as they talked about a flat tire feel or shimmy)

I'm not HD bashing as I have had my share over the years but the things above concerned me enough to sell and see what comes along next and hopefully they will improve or I might look for older model FL or who knows what.

Back