free website stats program 2008 XL1200C power hook up for heated gloves | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 XL1200C power hook up for heated gloves

nhk750

Well, this is my first post here and here it goes.

I just got some Gerbins heated gloves and had to wire in a 12 volt power harness for them. The gloves came with the harness and I hooked it up to the battery. There really was no good place to rout the wires so I zip tied them up to the left side harness coming from the battery box and ran the power connector between the seat and the gas tank so the connector would poke up in the crouch area. It actually rests right on the gas tank metal strip. When I tried to run it elsewhere the wire would rub on the tank when riding or get uncomfortably close to the engine (we all know how hot a Harley engine can get!). Any one have any other ideas or better way to run wires? I figure when it warms up I would just cut the zip ties and tuck them in for the summer (I live in Washington state and we have around 5 months of cold left)

I will post a picture when I get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spent countless hours looking at posts in here and all over the internet for wiring ideas on the sportster. But, no one has much of anything. They have ideas and pictures for the bigger bikes, but nothing on the Sporty. Gerbin has nothing, and the powerport that mounts to the horn bracket idea puts the wiring in the engine area and across the paint on the fuel tank.

Maybe some sort of mounting on the left side of seat where it meets the tank would work.

Someone out there with a sporty should have an idea and pictures?

My idea (shown in above pic) is functional and doesn't rub the paint anywhere, just doesn't look the greatest.

I'm just glad you brought up heated gloves nhk. I rode about 70 miles the other day and it was 36 deg and dark. I was dressed warm, but my hands got numb and I could hardly switch the brights without hitting the horn or use the turn signals (I couldn't feel them). I was considering heated grips but it seems to me that gloves would work much better. Do they work well nhk?-I know it's a lot colder up there than it is in Georgia.

The heated gloves the other day in 27 deg F. were awsome! My hands stayed warm warm and I was very happy! I talked to alot of guys and they like the gloves better for really cold and the grips better when it is warmer. Some guys use both if they commute in the rain and snow all winter. I guess if I had the money I would get both, because then you always have some heat on the bars if you forget your gloves like a warm day that turns to night later.

Also the other downside to gloves is having to run the wires down your sleeves and wiring the bike up. Once you get used to the wires though its no big deal, I ran them under the liner in my jacket and just leave them in all winter. seems to work great! I just need to devise a better power hook up on the Sporty now...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have spent countless hours looking at posts in here and all over the internet for wiring ideas on the sportster. But, no one has much of anything. They have ideas and pictures for the bigger bikes, but nothing on the Sporty. Gerbin has nothing, and the powerport that mounts to the horn bracket idea puts the wiring in the engine area and across the paint on the fuel tank.

Maybe some sort of mounting on the left side of seat where it meets the tank would work.

Someone out there with a sporty should have an idea and pictures?

My idea (shown in above pic) is functional and doesn't rub the paint anywhere, just doesn't look the greatest.

Part of the problem is motorcycles in general are a "marvel" of dense packaging...but the good news is your Sporty being "old" school, still has plenty of space behind the battery side cover, matter of fact the silly thing wants to come off on its' own.

The good news is you can secure it properly (zip tie or other fastener design), and while in there think of good ways to use it. In your case, you could figure out a way to install a bulkhead marine type connector that would look good or camoflaged with Willie G. or other round trim or design mounting bracket nestled in front of the battery compartment invisible, but centered in the open area in the frame behind the engine but in open frame area.

Since you have plenty of creative juices to figure out the underseat method, you may want to look at your idea, noting the plus and minus of your existing design and use your bike was a 3D canvas. Just remember that like you, my Sportster does have a 35A main fuse and 15A fuses.

I used the HD covered ACC cigar lighter w/ fuse for touring bikes and wired it to my Battery Tender pig tail which services double duty for my GPS accessory. I chose this method for a number of reasons 1) Compatibility, 2) Simplicity without cutting (Zip ties and Nylon Clamp), 3) No real splicing (used existing pigtail and weather resistant connections w/ dielectric grease), 4) easy routing and access...(if I decide I want a change no problem). Make your own list of nits and picks...your choice will work out if given plenty of thought.

DSCN0788-1.jpg

Your case is different in that the heated gear use connectors that are firm but pull loose in the event it snags on something. So do work on the design and don't despair...you will figure out what works best for you.

Last edited:
I did toy with the idea of drilling a hole in the side cover and mounting one of those power ports with the cover on it. But, the thought of drilling holes in my bike makes me ill...it is after all only a cover though. Your right, I just need to sleep on it for a few and an idea will come to me. I will post pics and directions when I figure something out.

Back