free website stats program 2008 Ultra enigne tick between 2200-2500 rpm | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Ultra enigne tick between 2200-2500 rpm

I can be running in 4th at 2400 and have the ticking,

Would it be correct to say that while during the above, if you were to pull in the clutch and release the throttle, the clicking would stop.

Would it be correct to say you can not duplicate the clicking sound while standing still with engine in neutral holding the throttle at a fixed RPM.

Re: 2008 Ultra engine tick between 2200-2500 rpm

TQ - changing out the crush gaskets..how easy a job? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but don't have a lift or any other specialty HD tools yet at this point - thanks

Not hard. Do not need a lift, but it is a good idea to get yourself the HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year.

Having said that, I do differ with the book a bit with respect to the exhaust. They will have you taking it off in chunks. I find it easier to just take off in pieces starting with the cans and working forward to the heads. Use plenty of penetrating oil and you can probably reuse the TORCA clamps. But go buy a couple to keep in your box in case you twist one off. This usually happens after 5p on Saturday when everything will be closed for a couple of days!!

Once you get to the heads, fish out the old crush gaskets, and install the new ones or the Cometics or whatever you have chosen. Snug up the headers (using LOTS of penetrating oil on the install too). Remount the rest of the pipes handy, and then go back and torque everything to the specs. Ease up on the TORCA specs (in fact I leave them 5-7 ft-lbs shy). Put the heat shields back on with new worm-gear pipe clamps (buy those in bags of 10 at Home Depot or Lowes). Fire up the engine and do the Exhaust Leak test from the self-help pages (or see above). If necessary, gently increase the torque on anything the may be leaking. BE GENTLE. It is VERY frustrating to have to back track now, and especially if you twist off a head stud!!

TQ

I have seen too many late model HD with loose exhaust, mine did too until I tossed the factory nuts and replaced them with new nuts and lock washers no more leaks:p

Would it be correct to say that while during the above, if you were to pull in the clutch and release the throttle, the clicking would stop.

Would it be correct to say you can not duplicate the clicking sound while standing still with engine in neutral holding the throttle at a fixed RPM.

Affirmative on the first. Tried this afternoon and that's exactly what happened -

Negatory on the 2nd - If I rev engine up to anywhere within the 2200-2500 range, while sitting idle...I get the tick.

Not hard. Do not need a lift, but it is a good idea to get yourself the HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year.

Having said that, I do differ with the book a bit with respect to the exhaust. They will have you taking it off in chunks. I find it easier to just take off in pieces starting with the cans and working forward to the heads. Use plenty of penetrating oil and you can probably reuse the TORCA clamps. But go buy a couple to keep in your box in case you twist one off. This usually happens after 5p on Saturday when everything will be closed for a couple of days!!

Once you get to the heads, fish out the old crush gaskets, and install the new ones or the Cometics or whatever you have chosen. Snug up the headers (using LOTS of penetrating oil on the install too). Remount the rest of the pipes handy, and then go back and torque everything to the specs. Ease up on the TORCA specs (in fact I leave them 5-7 ft-lbs shy). Put the heat shields back on with new worm-gear pipe clamps (buy those in bags of 10 at Home Depot or Lowes). Fire up the engine and do the Exhaust Leak test from the self-help pages (or see above). If necessary, gently increase the torque on anything the may be leaking. BE GENTLE. It is VERY frustrating to have to back track now, and especially if you twist off a head stud!!

TQ

Thank you TQ - Good stuff and appreciate your time in writing that up. I'll get me a service manual and get those parts together and give her a go as soon as I can get everything together.. Appreciate the info -

That is good. At least we know it's not tranny, drive train, clutch, wheels, belts etc etc. and supports what Glider,TQ and others say about the exhaust leak... Sounds like you have a good plan.

I had the same problem, and in my case it also was the exhaust gaskets, I swaped out the stock exhaust for ture duals, replaced the factory gaskets and the ticking went away, it was driving me nuts too..Tim

Back