free website stats program 2008 Ultra enigne tick between 2200-2500 rpm | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Ultra enigne tick between 2200-2500 rpm

trvlr

Another gentleman commented in an older thread, that he heard engine ticking between a certain rpm range. I have the same on my 2008 Ultra Classic.

It doesn't matter which gear I'm in, 1st thru 6th, if I'm anywhere between 2200 to 2500rpm, I get this ticking. I can be running in 4th at 2400 and have the ticking, take it up to 2600 and it's gone. Drop back down under 2500, and it's back. Doesn't matter the gear, they all do it.

Is this one of those "they all do it", or is this possibly symptomatic of another issue. I've been reading on the crank runout issue on these 96 engines, so you can say I'm paranoid - :newsmile040:

Also, now that I'm keenly tuned in to this, I really prefer it when it's not ticking..much quieter. Problem is 2200-2500 is like right where I always run, in most gears...getting annoying - thanks

hello trvir i hear ya same for me. mine likes to run at 20=2100 there its quiet in town & highway. Now i would not twist the throttle hard at these r's, i drop down a gear or 2 if i need to twist. Super Slab ill run 3k. I am a little hesitant to take to a dealer around here. I have had & heard of many questionable repairs. This neck of the the woods......Just checking my bike i have found no exhaust leaks to I'm thinking a noisy lifter. Glider tx for the input......

in that prior thread I mentioned, someone else commented on checking the exhaust bolts on the manifold for tightness. Just gave it a quick check for tightness, of which they weren't noticeably loose.

Is there a torque spec on these exhaust manifold bolts? Maybe I should loosen and retighten to spec. I really need to get me a SM...really:newsmile020:

Are exhaust leaks typically at the manifold, or are there other spots within the exhaust pipes you'd recommend checking... I'll start here and at least try to eliminate that as root source...thanks -

EDIT - UltraT - you're the one who made that comment. Remembered reading that and sure 'nuff..I got the same symptom -

Check this out for trying to locate an exhaust leak other than at the heads. Usually those types of leaks will happen at any rpm, but may be more noticible at a particular band.

Muffler Leaks - Harley Davidson Community

If the crush gasket at the heads is leaking, that can be very rpm specific and may require some load on the engine to really show up. That makes it hard to find on the lift or sitting on the jiffy stand. Additionally, there can be VERY little exhaust volume escaping - just enough to make a ticking noise. I chased a "lifter" problem for months until I decided to change out the HD crush gaskets to some Cometic C9540 Premium gaskets. That did it.

TQ

TQ - changing out the crush gaskets..how easy a job? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but don't have a lift or any other specialty HD tools yet at this point - thanks

I also have a "tick" sound at a certain lower rpm. It sounds like you described, I checked my exh. and all is tight. I stopped worrying about it, use it as a reminder to downshift and get the revs back in a happy zone.

I've never really noticed anything like this but after reading this thread, I'm sure I'll hear it the next time I go for a ride!

Sometimes we forget that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of moving parts sitting between and below our knees. They are unshrouded like on some bikes and not hidden under a hood like in a car. Yes, they make noise. We should definitely follow up on the cause of new, unexplained noises but often we are guilty of borderline obsession!

Back