free website stats program 2008 Ultra Classic Voltage Regulator | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Ultra Classic Voltage Regulator

My check engine and battery light has come on sever a lot times. Each time the volt meter dropped to 10 volts. The problem was intermittent. I have a few months left on my extended warrenty and took it to the dealer. Of course the problem was not present, but they replaced the VR. Hope the problem stays gone!
WAP.gif

My check engine and battery light has come on sever a lot times. Each time the volt meter dropped to 10 volts. The problem was intermittent. I have a few months left on my extended warrenty and took it to the dealer. Of course the problem was not present, but they replaced the VR. Hope the problem stays gone!
WAP.gif

:s Good for you, Do you have a battery tender? Now would be a good time to buy one, looks like your voltage was TOO low@ 10 volts ya got to love warranty:s

That is the way one of my VRs started failing. Would intermittently drop to battery voltage. The fact that was 10 Vdc suggests that it was not charging the battery very well either. Hopefully the replacement will solve that.

But I STRONGLY suggest that you open up the Derby cover at least and take a whiff of the primary fluid. If it smells (burnt), you may have a fried Stator which is probably what killed the VR. The safest bet is to open up the Primary and pull the compensator, clutch basket and chain, then pull the rotor so you can inspect the Stator. If ANY of the coils looks burnt, replace it. Inspect the rotor to make sure the magnets are all in place, secure and evenly spaced.

TQ

Will a "fired" stator work some of the times or do they die hard? Are VR prone to intermittent failures.

My primay is due for fluid change, so I'll do the smell check, but if I suspect a stator issue it's back to the dealer since I sitll have until 3/38/13 on the extra warrenty.

BTW the bike has 28,000 miles.

Will a "fired" stator work some of the times or do they die hard? Are VR prone to intermittent failures.

My primay is due for fluid change, so I'll do the smell check, but if I suspect a stator issue it's back to the dealer since I sitll have until 3/38/13 on the extra warrenty.

BTW the bike has 28,000 miles.

I had a Stator with three fried coils that was putting out appropriate Vac at different engine speeds. I was just measuring across the pins, not with a spike through the insulation under load like Hoople will recommend here. Was definitely toasted.

As I said in my post above, this sort of intermittent failure mode was what one of my VRs did before it finally gave up completely. I was able to make it home (about 20 miles), but the Vdc on the dash gage was showing about 9 Vdc as I got home. Would not have been able to make it much further!!

TQ

Back