free website stats program 2008 Ultra Classic to trade in? - opinions please | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Ultra Classic to trade in? - opinions please

Biffy08

My 2008 Ultra Classic with only 22K really has me down! I am dealing with the electrical issue with the TCA pin connection. I clean the area and replace with dielectric grease but still the bike goes into limp mode. I haven't checked the codes lately but they were P1511 and 2135 if I remember correctly. And I have recently started with the weak compensator problem and the starter banging. With all this said, I can't easily justify fixing the bike, because I am not that much in love with it. When I first got it, I really enjoyed it. But with all of the above problems, it has sucked the love out for me.
Anyway, my question is, are the dealers going to low ball me based on it being a model with all of the pre-disposed above issues? What do you think I can get for it realistically from the dealer? I will be checking the BB value but wanted your opinions before that. I will be staying within the Touring family bikes. Are there any "bad" (problem bikes from the factory) for 2013 and 2014? Should I try and sell it to some other sucker, which I won't do? But I think I would get more for it privately.
Thanks.

Had a ton of trouble out of my 08 RG. I traded for a 2011 RG and haven't looked back. 67k and no problems. In 11 they upgraded to the SE compensator so no problems there. I'd suggest find a low mileage used bike and get the ESP to go on it. Used, someone else has taken the initial hit for depreciation and for me the ESP is a win win. Saved me a ton of money on my 08 problems and Jack got a new motor for $50.00 with his.

Right now the dealers are riding a wave of people wanting a 2014 Touring bike. They are selling high, and trading in low.
There have been several reports of problems with the dual cool system, but the air cooled models seem to be ok.
I absolutely understand the feeling of having the love sucked out by a problematic machine, but don't be hasty right now. Winter will soon be here and a better deal may be possible.

If you go used I highly recommend the ESP, it MAY save you down the road:D I got a reman engine for 50.00

Anyway, my question is, are the dealers going to low ball me based on it being a model with all of the pre-disposed above issues? What do you think I can get for it realistically from the dealer?

Well, if you were the dealer, what would you realistically be offering for this bike? Full NADA or KBB? No way.

Should I try and sell it to some other sucker, which I won't do? But I think I would get more for it privately.
Thanks.

Of course you'd get more selling it this way. But would you be able to look at yourself in the mirror if you didn't fully disclose these known problems to your "sucker" buyer?

Unfortunately there's no good answer to your situation. As Breeze said, even if your bike were pristine they'd be totally low balling you on a trade in because the 2014 Rushmore bikes are selling so well.

I would bite the bullet, invest the money in getting your bike as perfect as possible again, and see if you don't fall in love with it all over again.

Back