free website stats program 2008 Ultra clanking when starting hot | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Ultra clanking when starting hot

ewiltgen

I have 08 Anniversary Ultra, starts fine when cold but when hot it clanks and grinds. It has original compensator. I've been told that a heavy duty compensator will solve this.

I had an '03 UC with the old style compensator and the big nut that was supposed to be torqued to 150 ft-lbs. They subsequently came out with a different torquing process that started with a torque value and then rotated the nut an additional 45*. Also, red Loctite was supposed to be used on both the compensator nut and the lefty clutch nut.

I did have the compensator nut back off. Caused all sorts of damage because the rotor wallowed around and eventually snagged on the stator. The drive shaft sheared off all the dogs in the rotor hole! Mess!!

So open up the Primary right away and check everything out. If you have the old style set up, follow the new procedure. I do not remember when the new style stuff started, but suspect it may have been '07. Someone else might pipe in and answer that. Regardless, check it out. Not worth the risk of an unidentified noise.

Cheers,

TQ

Back