free website stats program 2008 Street Glide clunk in front end | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Street Glide clunk in front end

craig Lee

I have a 2008 street glide with 19,900 miles. I have had a clunking in the triple tree which has gotten worse with time. (especially braking slowly with the front brakes.) I just had the triple tree replaced and has helped considerably. There is still one clunk when I brake with the front. I was told it was the Brenbo brakes, but it sure sounds like the triple tree. Any thoughts? Thank You.

Thanks Guys,
The mechanic at my dealer did mention the fall away on a 2008 is 4 but he likes 3 and has it at that. I have another dealer that is going to look at it plus a very reputable independant company here in LA that has been pimping out my wife's bike that has been directing me on this manner.

Thanks again and I'll post any pertinent info.
Craig

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gary,
Thanks for the info. I agree. I think it should be a little tighter than factory specs. I dealt with one clunk initially and brought it up at my 1000 mile service. I also brought it up at my 5000, 10,000 and 15,000 mile service. At my 20,000 mile it was a constant clunking until I came to stop with my front brakes. With the new triple tree, that is gone but I am back to my one clunk.

I'll keep you in the loop.
Thank You

Have you tried a couple shots of grease into the zerk (left side) up on the neck? It is easy and might do the trick for you. Mine made the clunk when new and I greased it up and it quit. About every 3 or 4 months now I give it one shot.

Hello and Thank You for any advise.

I have taken in my bike here in Los Angeles and have been told they have gotten rid of the clunk. After test riding it, they felt it still wasn't perfect and are putting in new fork bushings today. They are good friends and perfectionists. I'll be picking it up today and post the results.

Thanks,
Craig

Hey Guys,
My wife has an 2006 1200 custum Sportster with 28,000 miles. My bike is 1yr and 2 months with 20,300. Living in Southern California we do get to ride year round. It's rough, I know!

My bike is now klunk free. they put a 60,000 of an inch chim on the triple tree, new bushings and Motul Heavy Duty 20 Weight for fork oil. It is a little tighter than stock, but it sure feels great, especially in the canyons and especially when I stop. Feels like it should of felt for the past 20,000 miles. Can't wait to ride the next 20,000 miles(this week :))klunk and shimmer free!

Love to hear any thoughts. This is about the 5th '08 Touring Model they've remedied.

Thanks again,
Craig

I had the same "clunk" on my '07 Softail. There's a service bulletin out that may apply to your situation. My dealer (Latus) performed the fix and the clunk is gone.

There's some info in this thread:

Oops! I can't post links yet..... :(

There's a thread on the V-Twin forum called "triple tree clunk"...try a search there.

Here's the SB info:

FRONT END CLUNKING FIX:
service bulletin M-1215-A
fix kit is #45740-07

:bigsmiley25:kWow Craig you sure got my attention. I have bottomed out the front end and heard a clunk. I thought it was a one time deal. I don't understand how I could have dinged my front fender under the triple tree, but I hit a pot hole in Riverside by Tom's Barn, going about 50. I went air born, and didn't even get a lapel pin (bad joke). Where are you taking your bike? I live in OC and Irvine HD has not been all that forthcoming.

Back