free website stats program 2008 Softail Deluxe Starting / Running Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Softail Deluxe Starting / Running Problem

CU later

:( Hello All,

First off - Thanks to Ultrat for sending me in this direction.

I have a duecee of a problem with my 2008 Softail Deluxe. Bike was parked for over a year(started a few times- did not ride). I attempted to start it a couple of weeks ago and the battery was completly died. I purchased one form a local parts store since the dealer was already closed. The CCA's are compatable to the original with 310CCA's. Came home and installed the battery with no success regarding the bike starting and running.
I then replaced the batteries to the FOB's as one of them would allow the bike to crank but the other did not.
With the bike now cranking, I noticed, the fuel pump would not prime(took it out and bench tested as well).
After a few days, I ordered and replaced the bad fuel, fuel pump, filter and for good measure the pressure regulator. Still the the bike will not start (lights working) but, does not run.
The next day while on a business trip I stopped by a local Harley dealer, and picked up injectors working off the premise that the injectors might have become clogged with the bad fuel. Installed the injectors, still the bike cranks but will not run.
As I read through some suggestions on this site I decided to replace the crank sensor, thinking that the bike is not finding TDC for injector firing. Also becuase I extracted DTC codes P0261, P0263, P0373, P1001. My thinking was, since I possible have already taken care of P0261 and P0263, then I needed to concentrate on P0373 CKS sensor. No such luck! Bike cranks, but still will not run.
I am now stumped and need help. It would help if I can find a good troubleshooting guide with a wiring schematic and values for the sensors. Or, just good plan advice of what I could have possible missed.

I forgot to mention that the bike has spark at the plugs and wants to run when injected with a little starting fluid at the air filter.

The only Security system it has it the factory install FOB - no aftermarket alarm system.
Can this still be an issue?

Clogged injectors will not cause a P0261 and P0263. That is an electrical issue that is common to both injectors.

Try clearing all the codes and re-cranking to see if any codes re-appear.
Check the chrome tank quick release fuel fitting. Unplug and reseat it a few times.

Was there a lot of "gum" in the tank when you changed the pump?

The security and engine light turn off in Step 3 and 4 of the TSM/TSSM Procedures, does this mean that the FOB's are sinc with the ECM? This is what I think that I am reading.

Cleared all code at PSSPtb
this is what I have now:
P= none
S= none
SP= none
t= no rSP
b=no rSP

The Tank did not look or was gummy - but, I can remove pump again and recheck.

When you cranked the bike, the error log remained clean.

If it was a Security issue, it would not crank. If it was a Password issue you would probably get a P1009/P1010 DTC and your not.
You no longer have a system relay error and you have spark. If you inject manual fuel,,the engine attempts to start. You hear the pump running. If the injectors were not firing you most likely would get the P0261/P0263 and your not.
You have spark so you know the crank trigger is working.
You have a bunch of Good things going on.

To me it sounds like the fuel is not making it from the pump to the injectors. Check that chrome quick disconnect at the tank. The inside button may not be allowing fuel to flow.

Back