free website stats program 2008 Road King Crank Drain Plug? | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Road King Crank Drain Plug?

elkhunter149

Account Removed
So I pulled the allen head plug from the crank case pan when I changed my oil yesterday. The dealership told me there are some plugs you shoud not take out?????.
I guess I finally drained all of my engine's oil?
Some folks have said I will have to prime my engine to get oil in this pan, some said it will refill it self.
I repulled today after filling the tank and it had oil comming out of it.
Any commets, or ideas will be welcomed.:newsmile100:

First time I changed the oil on my 2007 Heritage I did the same thing. Just put it back and didn't worry about it. 24000 miles later no problems.

You should NEVER remove that plug in the bottom of the engine case. Some have cracked the case trying to remove it and it is only there for the machining of the case and the oil that comes out of there isn't going to effect an oil change making it worth removing and chancing the removal.

You still have old oil left in the oil galleries.

So I pulled the allen head plug from the crank case pan when I changed my oil yesterday.

Many of us with baggers that have installed oil temperature gauges on our dashboards have replaced that pipeplug in the oil tank with a sending unit for gauge. If you are merely replacing the plug back in the tank, use some teflon tape or paste and CAREFULLY install the pipe plug. DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE PIPE PLUG.

TQ

Oooo! Bad!! Other members, please do NOT pull the pipe plug out of the bottom of the engine case.

Wasn't sure from his explaination whether it was the pipe plug in the bottom of the case, or the one at the front of the oil tank. Was hoping he meant the latter.

TQ

Glider
So what do I do besides not to take it out again. I did repull it after I put oil in the tank and it had oil comming out of it. I will not take it out again unless I find out differently on this form.
My local dealer said it will reprime it slef with a short valve clacking at start up. Which when I did start it up I did not notice any engine noise.
Ken

Glider
So what do I do besides not to take it out again. I did repull it after I put oil in the tank and it had oil comming out of it. I will not take it out again unless I find out differently on this form.
My local dealer said it will reprime it slef with a short valve clacking at start up. Which when I did start it up I did not notice any engine noise.
Ken

That plug is located in an area where the sump draws oil from to scavenge the engine case. When you start it up again, you will end up with a few ounces of oil in that area as soon as the oil pressure gets up, so don't loose any sleep.

Unfortunately you are not alone here...

cracked engine case - Harley Davidson Community

Back