2008 Road King Classic foot brake

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 1798RoadKing, Jul 21, 2014.

1. 1798RoadKing

1798RoadKing New Member

Hello all.
    Newbie to the forum. I just purchased a 2008 Road King Classic. I road it 1800 miles from Illinois to Massachusetts. I discovered that the brake light works when I pull the front brake lever but the brake light does not illuminate when I step on the foot brake pedal. Also, the cruise control disengages when I pull the front brake lever but does not disengage when I step on the rear brake.

Can someone tell me where the switch is that controls both of those functions from the rear brake pedal? I can't pass inspection until it is fixed.

2. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

Stop light switch in the rear master cylinder bad?

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

#35 in diagram

Attached Files:

4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. When you find the switch, check the connections, one may be loose. If connections are tight and switch still doesn't work, you can get a Duralast switch P/N PS115 (or cross reference another mfg.) from one of the local Auto parts chain stores. The body of the switch is a little larger than the HD, but the threads and connections are the same. Cost is $8 vs $20 from HD, if the dealer has one in stock.

5. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here. :ws

6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I second Breeze's suggestion for I had the same problem with mine and after crimping connectors a bit all is working as designed.

7. wheelhouse

wheelhouse New Member

My 2010 RK had recall for same problem

8. 1798RoadKing

1798RoadKing New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been unable to reply from my iPhone. The browser not seem to work well for this forum.

I ended up following the diagram to the web site that offered them on line. I discovered that there was a recall on those switches from '09 to '11. I found the part No. and took myself to a Harley dealer where I bought the new switch and installed it. In no time at all I had my sticker and I'm riding again.

Great forum and good advice. Especially grateful for diagram supplied that got me pointed in the right direction.

9. Jennmarr

Jennmarr Junior Member

You may want to look into an app called Tapatalk.