free website stats program 2008 road king classic first impressions. | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 road king classic first impressions.

highline

I had a super nice softail fatboy the greatest looking bike in the world for a trip to the mall or bar.Today l decided to go and look at a Road King because of all the positive vibes l have heard about the bike with regard to touring etc. I was looking for a used 07 or 08 model, but by the end of the day I was riding home on a brand new 2008. I was astonished with how smooth the ride was I honestly almost felt guilty with the lack of effort in riding this baby,as l approached a small pot hole I braced myself for the usual bone jaring thump that my soft tail always gave me,needless to say there was none.The smoothness of ride and handling really impressed me l rolled onto the highway and for the first time ever l realized the benefits of a windshield lol. I felt a great deal more secure not being blown around as usual, the 6th gear was great at 70mph. The throttle after jumping of my carb model is going to take a bit of getting used to but it is not a big deal,so 80 miles later I had zero buyers remorse and was far too impressed to be overly critical,but when l came to an idle at several traffic lights I could not believe the excessive vibration compared to my fatboy(it lessened if l rolled up the throttle slightly) also the heat on my legs got my attention .When l arrived home I checked the bike out for loose motor mount and then after reading some posts on this forum l am wondering if this is the nature of the beast.The bike is a keeper and l'm ready for my first 300 miles ride this weekend.Any comments on the vibration or heat displacement would be appreciated.Thanks Harry.

Last edited:
If its anything like my 07 EGC as soon as they are warm they vibrate alot at an idle .Ive been told its normal ,not like the 88s at all .so I just ride,enjoy,& let it shake me at the stoplights

Congrats on your new ride!! I have had a RK for 4 years, and it's a GREAT bike! The vibration that you are talking about is probably more noticeable to you because you have gone from a counterbalanced engine (the Softail line) to an engine with no counterbalancers. The Touring line's engines have the rubber engine mounts, which takes some of the vibration out of feeling it through the frame (which I prefer), but the engine definitely shakes more than the Softail engine that you are used to. This is completely normal, and is a characteristic of the Touring line. You'll get used to it.

The heat on your legs is also a known downside of how the exhaust is routed under your legs. All Touring line owners are not happy about it, but it is what it is. The '09 line has addressed this by routing one of the pipes under the frame, and they also added the cylinder-shut-off-at-idle feature, which both help. It still doesn't take the heat away though- it's just something you learn to live with.

All in all, you'll LOVE that Road King, man! I love mine; it is so versatile! Windshield on- you can ride for endless miles. Pop it off, and you're back to your "trip to the mall or bar" ride just like your Fatboy. It's an awesome bike.

Congrats again- and enjoy your new scoot! :cheers

Thanks Marty like l said l just cannot get over the difference in ride.

Attachments

• dump out 045.jpg
    dump out 045.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 37
Back