free website stats program 2008 Nightster suspension | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Nightster suspension

jterby

hi,
I bought my Nightster a few weeks ago, and with a couple complaints I am loving it. I have got mention this my first motorcycle, let alone first Harley. So here is my newbie question... How are people doing with using the a Progressive Suspenion upgrade? I have hit many pot holes while commuting on both the street and freeways. Some seams on the freeway have literally launched my (edit) off the seat 4 or 5 inches. That wasn't too fun and this is my only real complaint so far about the bike. I was hoping either adjusting the stock shocks pre-load would help a bit. Or, is this just the nature of a sportsters suspenion? I must metion I weigh 220 , so ithought at least adjustments are in order. I took my bike to the dealer to check my current setting, and the tech says I should just leave it. I believe its on setting 2 , which I suspect too soft for my weight,according to the manual . So, does anyone think adjusting will help any, or should I just wait for the PS 412's?
thanks for any advice,

John

Last edited by a moderator:
if its launching you out of the seat its either bottoming out and the launching you as its to soft or it launching you cause its to hard.
The nightsters suspension is not the best and like all the sportsters is very basic you could try turning up the preload to make it stiffer but if i was you i would invest in good suspension

so, it's more like I suspected. I told the tech at the harley dealer, it felt like I am riding a rigid, or the suspension is bottoming out. Which I assumed was mostly due to my weight more than, it being crappy suspension. I knew leaving it how its set (as the harley tech suggested), wouldnt be too smart. Thanks for the quick response! I will try a bit stiffer suspension setting until I can buy the progressive stuff, front & rear.

John

Don't past go, don't collect $200!! Go and get at set of Progressive shocks and if you have the $$ go for the fork springs as well. I went with 12.5" 412's and the ride is amazing! I also did the fork springs at the same time.

My dealer, upon hearing my disappointment with the JUNK that HD calls shocks, replaced the fork oil with a heavier grade at N/C. This helped some, but the real improvement came with the Progressive shocks.

Just so you know you are not alone, I hit a pothole that knocked the wind out of me!

Have fun!

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my 07 nightster. I was actualy thinking that I made a huge mistake buying the bike. Went with progressives both front and rear and the road became that "ribbon of asphalt" that that we all look for, and my commute actualy has man hole covers in the diamond lane along with the pot holes and poor transition from concrete overpasses.

Bart

Back