2008 FXDF stopped charging

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by mharrigan, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mharrigan

mharrigan New Member

I have a 2008 FXDF that had the check engine and battery light come on and then went off after a restart, but by the time I got home the battery would not start the bike. I checked voltage at the battery with the bike running and it stays right around 12.2 volts, maybe jumping up to 12.4 with the engine at 3000 RPM

I checked the 3 pin stator output connector and get 20 to 25-30 volts AC depending on RPM across any two of the three pins - I also have .2-.3 ohms between any two of the three pins and .2 to .3 ohms from any of the three pins to ground and no bad smell from the engine oil...... so I think my stator is good - that said my dealer says the stators fail 4 times more often as regulators so I want to be be sure my diagnosis is correct

I did the regulator check discussed elsewhere on this board (VOM from the battery negative to the regulator with the regulator and stator disconnected) one pin on the regulator started with 4 volts and slowly dropped to .3 volts - the other pin started at 1.3 volts and dropped to zero - does this show that the regulator is bad.... I hope! Please let me know if I am correct in thinking its the regulator, thanks folks!
  2. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

If your checking continuity between the stator pins and ground, it should read no continuity, any continuity means a bad stator. AC output should be 32-46 volts AC at 2000 rpm. I agree with your dealer, stators do fail more often, but run the tests to be sure.