free website stats program 2008 for a 2008 - What Do You Think | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 for a 2008 - What Do You Think

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
You know how some days your mind starts considering something and you just can't stop thinking about it? Pros and cons dancing through your head all day? Today has become one of those days.

I've finally gotten my '08 Street Glide pretty much just the way I want it. The last day or so I've been slightly lamenting the fact that I don't have ABS, mainly because a friend is in the hospital and, while I don't have all the facts, I'm almost certain a contributing factor was rear wheel lockup followed by a high side exit from the bike. I know ABS won't prevent EVERY accident like this but it sure helps.

Anyway, I'm looking on Ebay last night and there's a 2008 Street Glide for sale with ABS. It's got 3000 fewer miles than mine, an extended warranty through May of 2013, saddlebag guards, and a couple other minor extras. Here's the kicker - it's the exact same color as mine so I'd be able to keep my detachable tour pack. I also still have my stock windshield and seat so I'd be able to transfer my Sundowner seat and Clearview windshield to the "new" bike.

I know money is a big factor and I wouldn't do it if it meant a lot of out of pocket expense. But if I could pretty much do a one for one swap (sell my current ride for about what the "new" one cost) would you do it? Getting ABS and a warranty for four more years is certainly enticing.

Or should I keep my current bike and see what the market for used 2009's is like once the 2010's come out this summer? Of course with spring finally here, I would think the value of my current bike is higher right now than halfway through the riding season when the new models come out and my '08 is a year older instantly.

Decisions, decisions!

Hang on tight Doc....You're going to get a few opinions on this one :D

Me...I like ABS so I would be inclined to pursue it. JMHO

I don't think I could do that just for a few things, a lot of hassle for it. I understand your desire for the ABS, but I like your latter thought to potentially upgrade to a 2009. That would be worth it then to me, especially knowing all the new changes to the 09 Touring bikes.

Plus, you have to be careful with eBay, make sure you can see the bike. If it feels right and you think you could sell your bike around the same, then it might be worth it, but again, then you have to go through the trouble of unloading your current bike, which can be a hassle.

If i did it i would like to go 09 but depending on cost etc i might just go with a 08 if you want the ABS .. I have it so im happy for now

This may be a dumb question. How much would it cost you to get put ABS on your bike? Can they do it after the fact?

This may be a dumb question. How much would it cost you to get put ABS on your bike? Can they do it after the fact?

would be to costly

the abs pump new ecm and harness if the plugs are not there .. new handle bars new wheel bearing with sensors and if your computer is in right side cover move it and put pump there and new brake lines etc etc

If I were you I would definitely go 09. But from a cost point of view, it would be cheaper to get the 08 with the color the same as your bike.:small3d012:

Thanks for all the input.

If the bike were here where I live and I could go check it out it might be different. But, it's in Texas and I'm in Georgia. As several of you posted, there were such significant improvements to the 2009's, I think I'll wait a bit and see how the used '09 market shapes up. Of course the 2010's could wow me also!

All in all, I'm going to keep life as simple as possible and keep enjoying my present bike - maybe get an extended warranty right before current one runs out if I decide to keep it.

Back