free website stats program 2008 FLHX Oil Drip - Normal? | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 FLHX Oil Drip - Normal?

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Lately I've been noticing a couple drops of oil on the garage floor or pavement parking area that appear within the first 5 or 10 minutes of shutting down and then stop. If I go check several hours later or the next morning there are no additional drops on the floor. If I get down on the floor and watch, the drops are coming off the front, rubber engine mount but they're obviously originating somewhere else and then dropping down onto the engine mount. I reached in to ensure the oil filter was on tight and there is a trace of oil on the bottom of the filter.

Could this be coming from the stupid adapter that was installed between the bike and the filter when I put on my oil temp gauge? I've been seriously considering moving the temp pickup into the pan and eliminating this adapter anyway but this would certainly clinch that decision.

Or is this pretty normal on a bike with 9000 miles on it? I check the oil level regularly and it's not being affected. Like I said, it's a couple drops so far, not an actual leak.

Thanks!

Very few places above the mount that can leak, one is the adapter and the other is the filter gasket. Clean them all down and run the engine to see where it's coming from.

Very few places above the mount that can leak, one is the adapter and the other is the filter gasket. Clean them all down and run the engine to see where it's coming from.

OK - I'm walking out the door and won't be able to get to it until Monday so I'll post results then.

nope not normal while not a street glide my 08 rkc doesnt leak at all and am less than 50 miles from 12k and that was from a long trip over 2k miles hard riding though the mountains etc and no leaks

Clean off the area, go run the bike stopping every few miles and looking all over for the source of the oil leak. Don't put it off, or it could turn major on you a long ways from home.

Thorns

My 08 SG has about 12K on it, and the only drips I've had were when the shop didn't clean off the spilled oil after the 1K service.

No runs, no drips, no splatters....

Back