free website stats program 2008 cold starting problems???? | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 cold starting problems????

Hello, my first post here, I have a 2008 ultra classic. A couple weeks ago I added a screamin eagle air filter, pc III , and rush 2" slipons all from fuel moto. First of all it has been pretty cold here, and was wondering if it being cold out if that will prevent the bike from starting. It will turn over, but has a hard time firing. It has backfired through the intake a couple times. I've never had this problem before and had other injected bikes and they always started up for me in the winter. Also with it being cold out, I was thinking the oil might not be able to flow well and could be causing it to crank over slow. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Has it ever started with this setup?

I couldn't tell from your post if you have ever been able to start the bike with this setup. If it has never started, I would suspect the PCIII settings are wrong or maybe a cable isn't seated properly.

I don't know anything but I would get the battery tender as was suggested and make sure the battery is 100% charged and double check my connections for the PCIII. If it still doesn't start then I would discounnect the PCIII to see if it starts with the stock ignition module.

Since the PCIII keeps the stock ECM and plugs into the harness it would seem to me that either a connection is bad or the settings are wrong.

I am sure someone who knows more that I do will answer you. The self help section tells you how to check for trouble codes which might tell you something.

Good luck.

In the very cold temps, fuel has a hard time atomizing and the newer bikes being so lean from the factory , they have two strikes against them right from the begining.

If you get it into an area where the temps are at least 40-50* it should start then and make sure the battery is fully charged like using a battery tender.

Like mentioned above, don't start it unless you let it idle a bit higher than normal and fully warm up. I use a box fan on the bike standing on a milk box to let it warm up without overheating anything.

You may want to go over the PC III again and check the settings or unplug it from the system and try starting it without the PC III in the system. Hook the harness back to the ECM directly.

i have had a battery tender on it all winter, so dont think that is the problem. I have had it started and let it run a couple times since I added the power commander, it just didnt start very easily, but once started, everything seemed normal. This just has me a little concerned since i used to have a 2003 heritage that was injected and it never did that. Man I am ready for spring, when it was running those pipes sure sounded good...anyways thanks for the replys everyone

One more thing to consider and that is the location of the power supply for the PC III. Disconnect the PC III and see if it starts normal. The PC III may not be getting power until the fuel pump runs (pressures up) in some cases which would explain the delay in starting.

i think i may have over oiled the air filter a little cause there was small puddle on the crankcase. Would that affect it starting? If so, should I clean the filter and re oil it again? thanks

It does sound as though it is your IAC position sensor settings, I would check your PC111, also your o2 sensors have heaters in them ,,they take about 30 sec to warm up before they can sense and adjust to cold start position

Back