free website stats program 2008 Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

2008 Classic

dlingle61

Just bought a 08 classic, with 628 miles on it. Didnt get any info and no owners manual on it so going to treat it as if it was brand new. So what is the norm first oil change ect? And does anyone have a extra owners manual. I will be buying a shop manual. DAVE

Welcome Dlingle61 to the HDTimeline forum and a fine introduction to the HD family. While others will weigh in shortly, may I suggest you change all fluids ASAP if you do not know the mileage or disposition of the existing oil/gear lube fill, using HD recommended 5 micron filter your 2008 big twin uses.

Click on the Self Help tab near the top of the page and look into those relating to Engine oil, Tranny gear oil and Primary/Clutch lube...each with unique requirements, not just thin HD sem-synthetic motor oil supporting CITGO & Hugo Chavez the anti USA dictator (an unfortunate long ago consequence of MOCO contracted oil supplier). Here is a sample of what is in the Self Help section on LOF procedure...

Joyflyin Does A Service - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
Go on to ebay and type in "2008 Harley service manual". I'm sorry I can't remember exact name, but I paid around $10 bucks for the PDF versions and they just email them to you. You can burn them to a disc an bring your laptop right in the garage and work away.

Just bought a 08 classic, with 628 miles on it. Didnt get any info and no owners manual on it so going to treat it as if it was brand new. So what is the norm first oil change ect? And does anyone have a extra owners manual. I will be buying a shop manual. DAVE

You should be able to find the Owner's Manual available online. Just Google it.

On your fluids, read this and then change ASAP:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Can't help wondering - how does a 2 year old bike not have an owner's manual? Dog must have eaten it!

I can only agree with the wise suggestions of everyone else. Get yourself an owner's manual and service manual. Then do your 1000 mile service and get nice, fresh, quality fluids in the motor, primary, and tranny.

Of course, then you'll need to come back here often so we can help you spend some more money on your "new" baby!

Welcome to HDTimeline by the way!

:cheers

I bought "LILLY" off a car lot that had bought her from a auction. So who knows where the owners manual went. But thanks for the info guys. The first thing I want is a different seat, lower and more profile. Any suggestions? Dave

Welcome aboard!! I have an 08 classic myself w/20k on it. She is vivid black and has been a great bike. You got Brembo brakes, six gallon tank, throttle by wire, a lot of goodies on it (possibly ABS depending on the model). Only mod I would recommend would be to switch out that stock compensator with the SE compensator. That completely eliminated that loud "knock" at start up. My bike was so loud sometimes it sounded like someone hit the case with a hammer. SE compensator completely eliminated it. Other than that ride and enjoy.

Back