free website stats program 2007 Ultra hard to start when warm or hot | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Ultra hard to start when warm or hot

nascar7613

2007 Ultra, stock engine, thunderheader exhaust, high flow air cleaner, stage 1 download to ecm. The bike starts fine when cold, but after riding and getting to operating temp, if I shut it off for a short time, as in filling up with fuel, the bike doesn't fire right off as it should. The starter turns the engine over fine, eliminating the battery & starter as the problem. I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge, and it has 60 lbs of fuel pressure when running, and holds at 52 lbs when the engine is off. Maybe the computer thinks the bike is cold, not sure. Usually starts after 2 or 3 tries, and runs fine. Any thoughts?

HD07FLHR012.gif

# 7 temperature sensor bad?

I thought those sensors would set a code. I think I'll check them with an ohm meter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took off the air cleaner. After I run the bike for a few minutes then shut it down, there are a lot of smokey fumes that smell like fuel inside the intake. The fumes continue for several minutes after shut down. I'm not sure if that is normal or if something is dumping unburned fuel into the intake flooding the engine making it hard to start.

I took off the air cleaner. After I run the bike for a few minutes then shut it down, there are a lot of smokey fumes that smell like fuel inside the intake. The fumes continue for several minutes after shut down. I'm not sure if that is normal or if something is dumping unburned fuel into the intake flooding the engine making it hard to start.

Leaky injectors maybe?

That's what I was thinking also. I can't see the injectors thru the intake. I guess I would have to take the injectors out to see if they are leaking.

That's what I was thinking also. I can't see the injectors thru the intake. I guess I would have to take the injectors out to see if they are leaking.

You can look for a leaky injector by removing the air filter, open the throttle to wide open, look in the runner at the rear injector, cycle the ignition switch on and off operating the pump....if the injector is leaking you will see it during the cycling of the pump coming on and off.
Try this

How FRESH is the Gas?
Is it bought from a good trusted station?
New Plugs? 6R12's set under 5$...
Still doing it?

Now for the Fix: wait it out until you are sure (I am already) then Replace the compensator with an SE number 1988838383838384 Improved SE model... :newsmile042: HD Compensators Kinda leaves a bad Taste in your mouth,,,, don't they?

NO MATTER how good you think your OLD Original Compensator is Working it AIN'T...

Not saying comp. is YOUR problem but I think it IS... Bikers Fight Say'n NO, hardly any miles on my the bike, WHEN They finally figure it out... HOT Day, Hot Start....... IT IS What It IS.... Compensator:newsmile03:

signed....BUBBIE

Try something when the bike is warm. As soon as you turn on the ignition hit the start button. Don't wait for the engine light to go off. This is the way I have had to start mine when it is hot since new. With mods and without. Mine has the SE compensator.

On your first post: The starter turns the engine over fine, eliminating the battery & starter as the problem.

This is NOT necessarily True...

The battery Still can be the culprit. (or starter)...

If the battery is original, that Just might be it.

signed....BUBBIE

Back