free website stats program 2007 Sporty Starting Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Sporty Starting Issues

jenmac

I have a mystery problem. My 2007 Sportster 1200 Custom has always started up right away, no issues. It was stored this past winter on trickle charger, with stabil in gas. Started up and ran just fine this spring (probably 12 rides) until yesterday. I turned the key on, pushed the start button, no sound at all from fuel pump (which I always hear). Little "engine" light came on, but did not go out as it properly should. Pushed the run button anyway and the bike turned over just fine but would not catch. Lights, horn, etc. all working fine. Turned off key and tried again. Still no power to fuel pump. Tried a third time, heard fuel pump engage, hit start and bike fired up. Repeated this scenario later in the day with the same results: would not start till third or fourth try and each time, no sound of fuel pump during prestart, but would send power on third or fourth try (after turning everything off). Figured battery is ok since she turned over just fine but put her on the trickle charger last night anyway... and when I went to start her this morning she fired right up. I really don't think it's a bad battery issue tho, but it is a mystery. Engine light does remain on for a short time when bike is first idling. Ideas?

I have a mystery problem. My 2007 Sportster 1200 Custom has always started up right away, no issues. It was stored this past winter on trickle charger, with stabil in gas. Started up and ran just fine this spring (probably 12 rides) until yesterday. I turned the key on, pushed the start button, no sound at all from fuel pump (which I always hear). Little "engine" light came on, but did not go out as it properly should. Pushed the run button anyway and the bike turned over just fine but would not catch. Lights, horn, etc. all working fine. Turned off key and tried again. Still no power to fuel pump. Tried a third time, heard fuel pump engage, hit start and bike fired up. Repeated this scenario later in the day with the same results: would not start till third or fourth try and each time, no sound of fuel pump during prestart, but would send power on third or fourth try (after turning everything off). Figured battery is ok since she turned over just fine but put her on the trickle charger last night anyway... and when I went to start her this morning she fired right up. I really don't think it's a bad battery issue tho, but it is a mystery. Engine light does remain on for a short time when bike is first idling. Ideas?

welcome to the forum...have you checked for codes?

Back