free website stats program 2007 Sportster cam came out | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Sportster cam came out

Vilemind

i have a 2007 883 L my friend puled the side covers for me so i could get them powder coated... but when he did the cam came out .. i have no clue on how to get it back in ... any Help plz .. so i can get my baby back on the road

I have never been inside a rubber mount sportster engine but would suspect that they are pretty much the same as the solid mount sportster in the gear case
first you will need to remove the rocker covers and the rockers this will allow you to lift the lifters enough to get the cams back into place you will need a diagram of the marks on the cams to ensure that they are all lined up correctly or you will wreck the engine

Brian

Can I ask a dumb question? Why on earth would the cam fall out when you pull a cover off? Just strikes me as odd. Was there a prevailing problem before hand? Colour me dumb I guess!

:eam

BRIAN

sportster cams are each supported by 2 bush bearings one bearing for each of the cams is in the gear case cover if the pressure is off a cam it can be drawn out of the bearing in the engine case as you pull the gear case cover off and be retained in the gear case or just fall out

Brian

sportster cams are each supported by 2 bush bearings one bearing for each of the cams is in the gear case cover if the pressure is off a cam it can be drawn out of the bearing in the engine case as you pull the gear case cover off and be retained in the gear case or just fall out

Brian

Thanks Brian.....Guess I didn't have my Sporty long enough to find that out. Thanks for answering ! 'preciate that.
:)

BRIAN

Vilemind; if you're not seasoned enough & don't have any "mechanically minded" friends - might be best to trailer your bike into a shop for this procedure. Might cost you more in manuals + tools + frustration/stress to get bike re-assembled & definitely a "tricky" job you don't want to mess-up. I learned the hard way...many years ago w/my 1975 Kawasaki dirt bike. Probably one of my 1st major motor re-builds & didn't last long (blew-up). Wouldn't recommend taking on cam work, if you're not somewhat knowledgeable on motor service...JMO.

Brian

This would be a good time to check all the bushings in the cam cover, don't like surprises:s

Just to clarify, the cam would not have "dropped" out if the bike was on the jiffy stand, if memory serves, as the tappets and such have "just" enough tension to not allow it. But if the bike is level or tilted to the right that would be a problem.

I want to thank everyone for the input i did pull the rocker boxes and the push rod lifted just enough to get it back in :D .. as to why it came out .. the bike was on the kick stand it was just the wiggling of the side cover to get it off that let it pull out with the bushing..again thanks everyone she looks great and is back on the road.

Back