free website stats program 2007 Road King 103" Stalling at Idle When Hot | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Road King 103" Stalling at Idle When Hot

I guess Coyote-Gear doesn't sell the quick disconnect fittings anymore?

UPDATE:
Took the bike into the dealer today to see if they could figure it out.
Before heading there I put a couple of thicknesses of electricians tape between the throttle arm and the stop screw, so as to effectively open it up a slight amount when "closed". Guess what? When I got there it was idling fine.!
They ran diagnostics and said everything checked out. TPS, IAC, MAP, injectors, all good. No cracked or broken butterfly shaft.
In short they could not figure out why it had been stalling, and they could not duplicate it with the throttle against the stop screw the way it should be (ie tape pieces removed).
What they did find is that it has a 103" race tuner download in it, apparently installed by the previous owner. Considering this they suggested that I disconnect the PC III tuner (overkill) and try that out. Guess I will do that and see what happens.
I did not get a race tuner with the bike, so I guess this means there is a loose race tuner sitting in someone's shop drawer somewhere, which is totally useless to them, since it is married to my VIN.
The weird thing is this flash was installed before I got the bike, back when it was a stock 96"!
The dealer folks were really nice, and the tech seems to know his stuff. Been working on Harleys for 20+ years. Its really nice to get to talk to the tech, and to even get to go into the shop and see exactly what he sees on the digital technician screen. Most dealers will not let you do that at all. Love it. And the service manager is a really knowledgeable long time Harley guy as well. Very helpful dudes.
So the jury is out as to whether it is fixed or not. Ran fine on the way home, and idled just fine when I put her away.
Who knows what's next?

Good luck, but, my experience indicates that intermittent issues almost always return, at the most inconvenient times, unless definitively diagnosed and corrected. I know that you can't fix what you can't duplicate, so, if it happens again, head right back there, right quick, and show it to them. Meanwhile, I would not go on any long runs into the bush and away from help, until the issue remains gone for a good, long while, or is definitively corrected.

Good luck,
Rich P

Do you know who the previous owner is? if not maybe Harley can do a vin history and find out the info for you.
It would be nice to track down the tuner that's married to your scoot.

Do you know who the previous owner is? if not maybe Harley can do a vin history and find out the info for you.
It would be nice to track down the tuner that's married to your scoot.
Jeff; it sure would! ;)
I have all the info about the guy I bought the bike from, but I doubt he would have the tuner; he was pretty thorough giving me all the loose stuff that belonged to the bike. He likely never saw it.
He had bought the bike used about 3 years earlier from a local dealer in Florida, and I don't imagine they would have any records or any knowledge of the tuner.
How would I approach HD to see if they can help? Email I guess? The service manager yesterday told me they cant even download a standard 96" or 103" tune without the race tuner. Does that sound right? HD must have some provision for situations like this; I cant imagine I am the only one this has happened to.

Worse case,You could buy a new Screaming Eagle Super Tuner and over write the previous tune.You would then have the interface module.

Any flash tuner that will re-program the ECM will work. The TTS Mastertune is probably the easiest to use in this situation. The TTS is the much improved successor to the SERT. Steve Cole designed the SERT and was under contract to the MoCo until the MoCo decided they didn't need Steve any longer and kicked him to the curb. Steve then moved on and developed the TTS Mastertune. Much more user friendly than the SERT and includes the VTune feature will allow "self tuning" by the user and a variety of down loadable maps for various configurations.

The Powervision would also work. Either would be a good choice so it would be worth checking with local tuners (not the dealer) to see if there is a preference for one or the other.

Any flash tuner that will re-program the ECM will work. The TTS Mastertune is probably the easiest to use in this situation. The TTS is the much improved successor to the SERT. Steve Cole designed the SERT and was under contract to the MoCo until the MoCo decided they didn't need Steve any longer and kicked him to the curb. Steve then moved on and developed the TTS Mastertune. Much more user friendly than the SERT and includes the VTune feature will allow "self tuning" by the user and a variety of down loadable maps for various configurations.

Good to know dolt; thanks for the info. Think I will check out the TTS product and go from there.
Rod

Back