free website stats program 2007 Road King 103" Stalling at Idle When Hot | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Road King 103" Stalling at Idle When Hot

Rod Stewart

I don't know what happened to my original post of about 2 weeks ago, but there was a lot of good information and suggestions as to how to fix the problem. Most agreed the IAC was the likely suspect.
Contacted the local dealer and they wanted it dropped off so as to run diagnostics, then order parts, etc, etc.
That sounded to me a lot like they just wanted to run up a big fat bill, so I just ordered in a new IAC, and changed it today. Yippee, all seems well! :D
Hardest part of the job was removing the darn gas tank to get at the iddy biddy T20 screws. The usual mess of spilled gas all over the place, but thankfully it evaporates.
But the bike is running great again.
Many thanks to all who contributed!
Rod

Good news, you just saved yourself a ton of $$$$. Dealer would have reached deep into your pocket. :eek:

OK, back to the drawing board. Still stalls at idle when hot, even after changing the IAC.
Only now it is throwing a code which it didn't have before. It comes up as P0505; "Loss of Idle Speed Control"
Well, ummm, yes, that seems to be the problem alright, but what is causing it??
Can anyone who has access to an ECM diagnostic chart give me any ideas please? :(

If I remember correctly in your original post you said it starts hard when it's hot? Have you checked and cleaned the crank position sensor? If it's dirty or bad it can affect how they start. Also the temperature sensor could be going south on you.

If I remember correctly in your original post you said it starts hard when it's hot? Have you checked and cleaned the crank position sensor? If it's dirty or bad it can affect how they start. Also the temperature sensor could be going south on you.
Its not so much that its hard to start when hot; it just won't idle when hot. Cold start and idle is fine.
But when hot it just quits at idle unless you have the throttle slightly cracked. Its really annoying, not to mention its another thing to juggle while you are slowing down for a red light or stop sign. Its a real bear in heavy stop and go traffic.

So I did a search and came up with an interesting old thread where the OP was having the exact same problem. One response was:
" I had the same problem with my 07 Street Glide to the point of it becoming very dangerous. The dealer performed a Technical Tip Bulletin #410. This is very common on the '07 Big Twins, it recalibrates the IAC (idle air controller) function. This condition should also set a code P0505 DTC for loss of idle speed control. I hope this helps, Ride Safe! "
This sounds a lot like it could be the fix I need.
I searched for this bulletin but came up dry.
Might anyone have a copy of it, or be able to link me to it?
My bike is cable throttle; not TBW.
Thanks for any help.
Pete; got your email IAC document, but can't read it for some reason.
I see it is a docx document; my Word version is 2007. If yours is 2010 or later that could be the problem.

IAC - Idle Air Control - An electric valve or stepper motor that's threaded, one turn of the valve is called a "step". It's controlled by output signals from the ECM to open and close as needed to allow enough air into the engine for starting and idle operation. It's function is to bypass the throttle blade in the intake and allow enough air to bypass the throttle blade to run the engine.(Throttle closed) The more steps, the greater the amount of air enters the engine through the IAC passages. It's that black unit you can see just inside and over the top of the air cleaner.
From time to time they get gummed up from the oil mist that enters from the engine breathers and need to be cleaned out. If you look inside the throttle body there's a hole in the upper portion and that is what needs to be cleaned out. You'll usually see some black gunk come out when you clean it. The problem it gives you when it needs cleaning is an erratic idle speed and stalling and usually does not set a code unless they fail.
A can of carb cleaner will do the trick here. One thing is to blow the carb cleaner out with some low pressure air or the other sensors in the intake will set codes from the carb cleaner.
If you don't have any low pressure air to blow it out, just let it air dry for a while before turning on the ignition.

Something else that comes to mind, Have you checked for any air leaks?

Back