free website stats program 2007 RK gas tank removal question | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 RK gas tank removal question

jerrybombard

Hi guys,
Well I'm expecting my new TFI tomorrow, can't wait! Tonights project is to have the bike already so I can pop that baby on right away tomorrow, and I figure it will be easiest to remove the gas tank to get at the injectors. (And give me a chance to clean the area). Somewhere here I have read that instead of removing the tank to injector line on the left hand side of the tank, it's better to remove the fuel line connection @ the injectors themselves, as the fuel tank connection tends to leak after removal. I can see the connection @ the injectors, and the blue button that needs to be pushed in order to remove the line. The question I have is if that line is seperated at the injectors, won't fuel just free flow from the tank? Whereas if the fuel line is seperated at the tank, like a compressor fitting, seems like no fuel will flow from the tank. I do realize I need to drain the tank because of the cross over up front, but just need some input with someone with experience. I don't like free flowing gas.....
Comments please.

I've removed my tank dozens of times, never leaked. It's a quick disconnect fitting and designed for that purpose. It is definately the way to go with a TFI. With the tank off, I routed the wires from the TFI through that plastic "sleeve" that holds the bikes wiring harness. This "sleeve" sits on the frame underneath the gas tank. Ran through there and then velcroed the TFI unit under the left side cover. Been riding there for two years. I've never messed with the injectors so can't help you with that.

Thanks for the input. Really did seem like the way to go was the quick disconnect, but inquiring minds want to know.
The other (main) reason for me to remove the tank was, like you said, run the wiring in the existing wiring sleeve, all nice and neat like.

Like Mavagrand, I've had my tank off many times. Intimidating the first time and then you realize how easy it is and how much better access you have to everything that would have been hiding underneath it! No leaks at all using the quick disconnect fitting.

I've also had my tank off several times with no leaks at the fitting. I always pull the fuel pump fuse and run the pressure out of the line by starting the bike. Maybe that puts less stress on the oring. If you siphon the fuel, be careful in the left side of the tank. there's hoses and fuel level sender in there that can get knocked about. I lean the bike to right and siphon from right side. I use vice grips to pinch off one side of the crossover hose, and stick a golf tee in the other side (or a short section of hose with a bolt in it). I replaced the crimp on clamps with stainless screw type from hardware store. I'm sure you will be happy with the TFI, let us know.

Well, that part is done. The tank is off, peice of cake. It did LOOK harder than it was, with the console and all. (altough I have removed many gas tanks before) I started the bike and pulled the fuel pump fuse to releave the pressure. I was surprised how quickly it quit running.
I used vice grips to pinch the crossover from one side and pulled the hose off and stuck on a short lenght with a bolt in it. Still leaked some, but not to bad.
I decieded to use the quick disconnect, that what it's there for , right? The hardest part of the whole job was getting the fuel gauge wiring disconnected, just couldn't get my hand up there and see at the same time. Finally got it disconected when I moved the tank back just an inch or so.
I cleaned up the backbone and removed the top of the wiring runway to make room for the TFI wiring. Wouldn't want to try this WITHOUT removing the tank, would just be a pain to get my hands in there to remove the injector wiring. It's all nice and clean now and ready to go. All nice and neat.
Can't wait to get home today and put in the TFI !!!

Just another thought...disconnect the fuel feel line from tank, remove the front and rear fuel tank mounting bolts, place a towel at the handlebar, drape a towel around the front of the tank, lift the front of the tank and place a rolled up towel under the tank and on top of frame back bone, lift the rear of the tank and place another rolled up towel under the tank and back bone. Careful not to scratch the front of the tank and make sure the tank is balanced on the towels so it won't fall to the side. This will give you plenty of room to install, run, and secure the injector wiring to the wiring harness along the right side of the back bone. Remember, if you have a rubber mounted engine to leave some slack in the wiring to the injectors to allow for the engine movement. Use extra plastic ties to secure the wiring and look All the wiring over for any wires rubbing or chaffing on anything that could cause you trouble down the road, before you lower the tank. This way you don't have to mess with the front crossover gas line.

Thorns

Dont overthink it. Tank removal is a snap. No leaking at all when I did it. I didnt have much fuel in the tank at the time though. Easier to handle.

Just do it. Everyone should know how to remove the tank. SIMPLE...

All done. This unit is great, in my short experience so far. Easy to install.
I posted a comment in the Dobeck thread if anyone is interested.

Back