free website stats program 2007 Nightster Charging Problem!?!??? | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Nightster Charging Problem!?!???

XL1200N

Frozen Account
For the second time in two weeks I have a dead battery on my "brand new" bike. The service guy tries to tell me I left the ACC on, (I DID NOT!). I take the battery to them and they charge it. Less that three days later after a great Sunday ride...I come out this morning to go to work and...DAMN!!! Has anyone ever experienced this problem? I am very frustrated with this because my shop is closed Mondays and in the three weeks I have had the bike, between rain and this problem I barely have 100 miles.:mad:

I had exactly the same problem. Turned out some moisture had penetrated into one of the relays,( yes they are supposed to be weather proof), and was causing a slight but constant current draw on the battery. The worst of it was that when the battery dropped below a certain voltage it set the security system off. Not a good thing at 3am believe me! Replaced both of the relays just to be sure and the problem was cured. Also invested in a battery tender (optimate 111) and my neighbors are much happier.

Good News!, (maybe?.) Picked up my girl today and it appears the factory battery was defective. The mechanics assure me that all is now well. I feel alot better now but there programming for the security system is broken at the shop and I will have to sleep with a shotgun till they get the part to re-program her.:eek:

I knew it!!! Either my dealership is incapable or my bike is a lemon. I told them it can't be the battery and after the replacement yesterday...DEAD this morning. DAMN!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I had exactly the same problem. Turned out some moisture had penetrated into one of the relays,( yes they are supposed to be weather proof), and was causing a slight but constant current draw on the battery. The worst of it was that when the battery dropped below a certain voltage it set the security system off. Not a good thing at 3am believe me! Replaced both of the relays just to be sure and the problem was cured. Also invested in a battery tender (optimate 111) and my neighbors are much happier.

Well Wayne...I came home from work, pulled the side case, pulled out relay top and relay bottom and found enough corrosion to eat your finger off. I'd say that considering the bike is only 3 weeks old that Harley has a defect. I told the dealers Service Manager yesterday about the possibilty and he boldy told me that can't be...How arrogant! I will have to find a service center that can serve their customers and treat them with respect. I was just told that they can't come pick up my bike till the morning, (shop is 2 miles away), this dealer will never get return business from me or any recommendations ever.

Thanks for the heads-up!!! Good job!!

Well...after wrangling, arguing and educating the Service Manager. My bike is held hostage till H-D factory can tell the shop why this happened. I told him, they or the factory did not seal the fuse box/relay connections with dielectric grease. Nothing is waterproof but to avoid corrosion coating the battery, fuses, relays and the fuse box will help prevent this nasty problem. Again...common sense, (actually this is common knowledge that is done on battery connections), tells me this should be always be done but wasn't on my bike, even when the shop replaced the battery. I am riding the shops demo Sportster and it in no way compares to the power, comfort and weight of my Nightster...I want her back.:confused:

Last edited:
Glad that you have at least identified the nasty critter. When I told my dealership about it they too said its a first for them! Aint it always the simple things? It might even pay to keep a couple of relays in the tool roll, just in case. Hope I was some kind of help:)

Life is GOOD!! I've had Trixie, (I name my vehicles), back for 3 days and she has been repaired. Piece of advice: corrosion proof all your fuse block, the block , fuses and relays not to mention the battery. My Nightster had no dielectric grease on these componets and corrosion took only three weeks. Granted I live in the most beautiful place in the country, but it rains here and I am 1 mile from the beach boardwalk, (salt air), and I truely believe that I should be able to ride in any weather without having my fuse block corroding away.

I'm now going to ride to UCSC to have lunch with my wife!!:cool:

Back