free website stats program 2007 lowrider front end wobble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 lowrider front end wobble

Laced wheel run-out and balancing would be the very first place I would look. You have not 1 but 2 planes of runout to deal with when using laced wheels. Start with the front wheel since it is easy to remove and check. Remove it and check true-ness in both planes. Then check the tire surface problems like knots or imperfections and of course balance.

ok it is too nice out to be at work so i am taking off for the weekend. i will be riding and trying a few of the options you guys have given me. thanks for all your help. hope everyone has a great weekend. thanks again

Joe

Ok, I'm sure this is not one that has ever been posted about a possible cause. I have a 2007 Softail Deluxe it has never had the handling that I would describe as great. The stearing has always wondered but I always thought maybe bike was heavy sided toward the primary. Well I hit a pot hole a few weeks back and the sway became more prominent. I have 42,000 miles on it so thought maybe changing and putting heavier fork oil would help. Then I changed the neck bearings, still had a sway. Decided to live with it, then got a $200 gift card for birhday so decided to lower the front by 2". When I got the forks apart I noticed the right fork and spring were 3/4" longer than the left. I have never had my front end off except for the bearings, so it actually came from the factory this way and I have to assume was the problem all along.

When I got the forks apart I noticed the right fork and spring were 3/4" longer than the left. I have never had my front end off except for the bearings, so it actually came from the factory this way and I have to assume was the problem all along.

Are you saying that when you replaced the springs and made them equal length. it fixed the problem.

Yes that is what happens when a spring of that design looses tension,it will grow in lenth . same size springs just one went bad .

Yes that is what happens when a spring of that design looses tension,it will grow in lenth . same size springs just one went bad .

There is a difference between having a drift or pull to same side and a sway or wander. To me a sway or wander means just that,,, depending on the road conditions, (snakes,crown,etc) the vehicle will go in a direction other than where you have it pointed. But not always to the same side

I can not see how how unequal spring lengths (by 3/4") could cause this since the leg towers are both fixed to same anchor (triple tree). What we have is not the same as having 2 independent front wheels at different riding heights. Different spring heights will not cause the bike to lean and therefore will not cause a sway or wander.

Maybe the OP used the word sway/wander when he meant a drift or pull.(?)

Back