free website stats program 2007 Heritage Softtail Classic Ramblings | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Heritage Softtail Classic Ramblings

waterdog

Hi y'all.

It's been a while since I posted, so I thought I would post some rambling thoughts about my recent experiences. After months of research, I purchased a 2007 Heritage Softtail Classic in Fire Red Pearl / Black Pearl colors and with the Chrome Profile Laced Wheel option. I bought it from HD of Columbia Tennessee, my local dealer on 4/28/07. The folks there have been great to deal with so far. It's been over 12 years since I owned a bike and they have been very helpful to me, including loaning me helmets for test rides and even the first week while mine were on order so that I would be able ride some.

Well, what I've got to say about this MC is WOW! Harley sure has a winning combo with the new 96 CI engine matched with the 6 speed! While this is the first Harley that I have owned (out of 4 MCs), I have ridden several over the years, but this is the smoothest, and best balanced Harley I have ridden. It's a great MC.

Here is my new baby the day I brought it home:

131-3150_IMG.JPG

The other side showing the stock factory pipes.

131-3154_IMG.JPG

If you look real close, you can see just how excited I am to get my Harley!

TWDwheels-square.jpg

I decided to purchase different exhaust pipes and air breather at the time of purchase, to get the benefits I've heard about of more power, cooler running and better fuel mileage. I really don't care about making the bike louder, so I selected the Vance & Hinds Q-Series Double Barrel Staggered pipes. They have the same look as the V&H Big Shot Staggers but are supposed to be quieter. The pipes, along with SE Stage 1 AC and a V&H Fuel Pak are to be installed sometime soon. I'm very interested in hearing what they sound like and how well they improve performance. I'll post some pics after the accessories and new pipes are installed.

I have had the bike for about 2 weeks now and have had several rides around town and the countryside, along with several rides to work. I just passed 400 miles on the way home from work this morning. I plan on dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow or Monday to get the pipes and all my other accessories installed.

One thing I noticed is that I get lots of heat on my right thigh from the rear cylinder head. Is there any kind of good looking heat shield available that could installed there, or is it something I just have to deal with?

I've also come to the conclusion that I need to get the handgrips moved back towards me about 2 inches to be more comfortable. I already rotated the handlebars and re-adjusted the grips, but still need some more. What is the best way to accomplish this? Offset risers, or new handlebars with more pullback to them? I would like to find a method that would NOT require changing any cables. Thanks for any feedback you have on this.

Man, it feels good to be back on two wheels again after many years away. Why did I wait so long?

Thanks for letting me ramble. Safe and happy motoring to everyone.

waterdog

One thing I noticed is that I get lots of heat on my right thigh from the rear cylinder head. Is there any kind of good looking heat shield available that could installed there, or is it something I just have to deal with?

I've also come to the conclusion that I need to get the handgrips moved back towards me about 2 inches to be more comfortable. I already rotated the handlebars and re-adjusted the grips, but still need some more. What is the best way to accomplish this? Offset risers, or new handlebars with more pullback to them? I would like to find a method that would NOT require changing any cables. Thanks for any feedback you have on this.

waterdog

I hear the heat is one of the issues with the 96 ci engine all arround. I have found a couple of alternatives. The one I am leaning toward is a heat deflector. RSJ Originals makes one that looks a lot better than some of those cheap looking plastic ones. This one is leather and you can get studded to match. (won't let me post the link but you can do a search)

I am a tall guy and also am looking at the handlebars. I have about decided some small apes are going to be my choice. Probably 12 inch or 14 inch. The 16 and 18s are way too much for me.

Keep us updated on your mods.

I love my 07' Heritage. Can anyone recommend a set of true duals that have a huge loud sound. I would like to attach fishtails for keeping the nostalgic theme.:33:

I hear the heat is one of the issues with the 96 ci engine all arround. I have found a couple of alternatives. The one I am leaning toward is a heat deflector. RSJ Originals makes one that looks a lot better than some of those cheap looking plastic ones. This one is leather and you can get studded to match. (won't let me post the link but you can do a search)

I am a tall guy and also am looking at the handlebars. I have about decided some small apes are going to be my choice. Probably 12 inch or 14 inch. The 16 and 18s are way too much for me.

Keep us updated on your mods.

Thank for the input Doc. I think I ran across those same shields from a link on another MB, but haven't found anyone that has actually had them for a testimony about effectiveness.

Where do you hail from Doc? And what model are you riding? Are you on a Heritage Classic also?

Last edited:
Ok y'all, I finally got a few pics of my ride with the new pipes and accessories installed.

Here are the new V&H Q-Series Double Barrel pipes:

131-3170_IMG.jpg

And the opposite side of the bike showing the other accessories installed - W/S Bag, Luggage rack, Engine Guards, Highway Pegs, Passenger Footboards, Nostalgic Footboard inserts, Nostalgic shifter pegs, etc.....

131-3177_IMG.jpg

The following pic is a close-up showing the new "Nostalgic" style footboard inserts and pegs:

131-3183_IMG.jpg

Along with the V&H Q-Series pipes, I had a SE Stage 1 air breather kit and a V&H Fuelpak installed. The sound of the Q-Series pipes is definitely louder than the stock pipes, but not as loud as the other V&H Bigshot pipes I listened to at the dealers. They have a nice throaty "Harley" sound to them that the stock pipes seemed to lack. And I certainly feel the changes gave the bike more power and quicker acceleration.

I don't really have a feel yet as to whether the bike is running any cooler than before or if any MPG changes. More to come about those things later. But so far, I like the changes!

G'day Waterdog
Your ride looks awesome.

I have just taken delivery of my 2007 Softail Custom and you are right, the engine gives off a lot of heat.

I would like to change the pipes and do the "SE Stage 1 air breather kit and a V&H Fuelpak thing".

What are the specs for your Vance & Hinds Q-Series Double Barrel Staggered pipes? and what is the V&H Fuelpak? Presumably you had the EFI remapped?
Best
John

G'day Waterdog
Your ride looks awesome.

I have just taken delivery of my 2007 Softail Custom and you are right, the engine gives off a lot of heat.

I would like to change the pipes and do the "SE Stage 1 air breather kit and a V&H Fuelpak thing".

What are the specs for your Vance & Hinds Q-Series Double Barrel Staggered pipes? and what is the V&H Fuelpak? Presumably you had the EFI remapped?
Best
John

Hi John!

Thanks for the compliment. Many folks, both on HD message boards and co-workers, told me that by changing the pipes, doing the Stage 1 and the Fuel Pak (or a Power Commander, SERT, etc.) would not only increase HP, but also cause the bike to run cooler and get more MPG, because it allows the engine to breathe more efficiently. I got to tell ya John, I believed the more HP, but was skeptical about gaining MPG and running cooler.

Well, while I haven't decided yet about if it runs cooler or not, I certainly gained HP and more MPG (about 5 MPH) since the dealer installed the above.

I don't really know the specs on the V&H pipes, but here is a link to their website.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/a100.html#

As far as re-mapping - that is what the V&H FuelPak does. The FuelPak is a module that goes under the seat that over-rides the stock mapping for the EFI (as I understand it). The "wrench" has to code the FuelPak for your particular bike model, pipes and air breather combo.

So far (about 400 miles riding), I'm glad I decided to have mine done. But I'll have to ride more to decide about the heat issue.

Good luck on your upgrades and let us know what you decide and how it works out.

waterdog

Back