free website stats program 2007 Heritage clutch slipping! | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Heritage clutch slipping!

D.Bradfield

Hadn't been ridden in a while and when I did get it out, I seem to feel the clutch is starting to slip. Has a stage 1, pipes, air cleaner and a doebeck Gen3. Any suggestions? Go back stock or upgrade it? What to upgrade it with?

What primary lube are you using?
How many miles on the bike...

Lot of things missing in "MY" instructions: Not everything you need to know BUT a suggested way I'd do it...

Big Book shows all...

Easy Fix is to put a stronger Clutch Spring in it... Use an SE spring, just a Little more holding power...
Drain/Remove primary cover. ***Loosen clutch center adjustment, remove the stock spring then Install new SE... Turn all a LITTLE at a time... Keep even Not tightening ONE all the way IN... Book has torque speck. and pattern.
(***re adjustment needed after SE spring is put in)

You should be able to wipe DRY the metal around the primary and also gasket of ALL OIL... USE the same gasket IF not damaged...
I've reused mine more than 6 times... Careful on the TWO alignment Dowels... Put them in on the Motor side of primary, to hold the outer primary straight and aligned... (my preference)
USE Torque pattern from Big Book... I use 120 inch lbs I use No Lock tight. I don't draw them dow all at once I finger tighten and Then use 40/ 60/ final is 120 inch pounds...

Together with spring in.... oil in and re-torqued.... THEN

Derby Open/Off...
Loosen clutch cable and readjust center of clutch just to Touch, make sure the clutch handle is still Loose.... THEN use 1/2 turn out and set lock nut... tighten the cable to have less than 1/8 at the Clutch Handle Ferrule, squeeze the clutch handle often to Keep all in close tolerance... I like my Adjustment at the clutch handle to be a little less than 1/8" Cold... (1/16 works for me)

Note, This will be a little stiffer to pull clutch handle IN, But No Slip IF clutch was in good shape before...

MAKE SURE you add the 40 to 44 ounces of primary Lube... Just touching the Bottom of the clutch... level bike off the side stand.

You should be able to put the 44 ounces in...

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
Agree with Brian.....

Ck before adjusting: Just let me know please? the Space at the clutch handle Ferrule BEFORE you do anything ...

Look and adjust First like Brian says, if SLIPPING then go to my post...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks guys. The adjustment is fine but the lube may be too slick. I have been using Royal Purple cycle max and have been hearing that it doesn't have friction modifiers and will cause it to slip. I have been using redline in my 2014 ultra limited so I will put some in the heritage and see if that helps.

As the oil in the primary is an integral component in the wet multi plate clutch it needs to be of the correct type and grade for correct operation of the clutch

Brian

I've been using it in the primary for 15k miles and no trouble. It's been sitting for a while and I'm thinking of selling it so I got it out to clean it up and ride it. It only slips under hard acceleration. I swapped the ultra over to redline at 3500 miles and boy it is smooth with the shockproof in it.

This is from Redlines website for their v-twin primary case oil.

• For 1984-to-present V-Twin American motorcycle engines, including Evolution, Twin Cam, and aftermarket engines of similar design
  • Same fluid as our famous MTL gear oil
  • Improves clutch operation while reducing wear and temperature
  • Where most synthetics are too slippery for clutch operation, this friction-balanced product is balanced to provide less slip, smoother operation, and helps to apply more power in modified engines
  • This product is for use in the primary chaincase with wet-diaphragm spring clutches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Only have use MTL in my primary. Yes, same as the V-twin primary from Redline. Good stuff.

I have had clutches lasting Over 100,000 + miles in a couple of my rides using MTL...

124,000 on the 09 King, many Original parts working good yet.
103" slightly Warmed Build, lol , I added a DD7 gear set and same original clutch with SE spring.

Also have over 64,000 miles on an SE08A comp that I modified with grooves on the 3 spokes down onto the Boss face... NO Dry Rust...

When I put in my BAKER DD7 speed, I checked out the Compensator and No problem with ANY wear like most have shown. I just reinstalled... I attribute that working so long using MTL and Grooved , its getting a drop or two of oil into that Unit kept it in great condition. I still am very surprised lasting this long...
Harley spent a TON of money on several different compensators that didn't work out so well after the SE08A and ALL they had to do was Groove that SE08A model like I did to get oil inside it and Presto.......Mine is Proof of working Correctly and Lasting a LONG Time...

Some rider buddies have said I ride Like a Girl and that is WHY my stuff last so Long....
I Know they say that as I DO read their Lips Out Of My Rear View Mirror as I Dust them... LOL LOL LOL LOL.....

signed....BUBBIE

Back