free website stats program 2007 Heritage Classic Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Heritage Classic Questions

waterdog

Hi y'all. I'm waterdog.

I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2007 Heritage Softtail Classic (FLSTC) and have a couple questions for anyone that has some input to share.

First, about how much should I expect to pay for a new 2007 FLSTC with two-tone paint job? MSRP is around $18,625 with no other options added. I'm sure there must be some markup the dealers get that they can play with, but I have no idea how much that is on a Harley. Are there dealers that discount more heavily on sale of new bikes, and if so who are they?

Second, I've read and heard alot about changing the exhaust pipes and the air breather, and doing a re-tuning of the bike for more power. Is this really something necessary to do? Or is it just another method for the dealers to make some more cash on a sale?

If it is indeed worthwhile, when should the change be made? Before delivery after the sale? Wait till after the 500 mile break-in period? Or is anytime OK?

Also, has anyone had a lowering kit installed on their FLSTC to lower seat height? I was told by the local dealer that there's a kit for about $200 that installs to the rear suspension that will lower the seat height about an inch (to the same as the Softtail Classic model). I'm wondering what the trade-off of doing this will be to the bike's ride and handling?

Thanks in advance for any answers and input you can provide.

G'day Waterdog...

I dont know about the US (its probably the same all over) but in Australia ithey dont do deals on Harley Davidson motorcycles!

Reason being if you want a Harley, you will get one, they dont need to do deals because there is only one HD.

Having said that you might get a discount on some accesories & stuff.

Regarding your question about pipe & high flow...
I got my V&H mufflers fitted prior to pick up. I would have had the race tune & high flow fitted but the SE race tuner didnt ship from the states in time, so I waited until after the first service at 1600km.

It wasnt a bad thing because I got to ride my Roadking for a while & enjoyed the torque of the 96 cube, then after its service I got to see how much difference the High flow & race tuner made.

Let us know how you go...

RK

Hi y'all. I'm waterdog.

I'm on the verge of purchasing a 2007 Heritage Softtail Classic (FLSTC) and have a couple questions for anyone that has some input to share.

First, about how much should I expect to pay for a new 2007 FLSTC with two-tone paint job? MSRP is around $18,625 with no other options added. I'm sure there must be some markup the dealers get that they can play with, but I have no idea how much that is on a Harley. Are there dealers that discount more heavily on sale of new bikes, and if so who are they?

Second, I've read and heard alot about changing the exhaust pipes and the air breather, and doing a re-tuning of the bike for more power. Is this really something necessary to do? Or is it just another method for the dealers to make some more cash on a sale?

If it is indeed worthwhile, when should the change be made? Before delivery after the sale? Wait till after the 500 mile break-in period? Or is anytime OK?

Also, has anyone had a lowering kit installed on their FLSTC to lower seat height? I was told by the local dealer that there's a kit for about $200 that installs to the rear suspension that will lower the seat height about an inch (to the same as the Softtail Classic model). I'm wondering what the trade-off of doing this will be to the bike's ride and handling?

Thanks in advance for any answers and input you can provide.

Waterdog - I have an '07 Heritage Classic (FLSTC). I had the Vance and Hines Bigshot Longs put on along with a stage one Screaming Eagle air box and an SE racing tuner. The stock bike sounds horrible but with all this it sounds great and has more power. I had it done during the sale and it was installed when I took delivery. I can't help you with the lowering kit as I like mine the way it is. I am 5'7" and the height of the bike is perfect. Hope this helps.

Hi roadking. Thanks for the reply.

roadking said:
I dont know about the US (its probably the same all over) but in Australia ithey dont do deals on Harley Davidson motorcycles!

Reason being if you want a Harley, you will get one, they dont need to do deals because there is only one HD.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but some dude on another message board told me that he saved about $10,000 on his 2007 FLSTC by going to El Paso to get it. I thought that sounded like a load of BS, as that is about 50% or more off, but didn't want to be a sucker and pay more than I need to.

It sounds like the V&H mufflers are the way to go, but I've also heard several guys say the Screaming Eagle slip-ons are good too.

Thanks again for the info roadking.

TWD

Hey there leapfreak. Thanks for the response.

What part of middle Tn are you in? I live in Columbia currently, but may be moving to Williamson County before long.

leapfreak said:
I have an '07 Heritage Classic (FLSTC). I had the Vance and Hines Bigshot Longs put on along with a stage one Screaming Eagle air box and an SE racing tuner. The stock bike sounds horrible but with all this it sounds great and has more power. I had it done during the sale and it was installed when I took delivery. I can't help you with the lowering kit as I like mine the way it is. I am 5'7" and the height of the bike is perfect. Hope this helps.

Cool. I hear alot about the Vance and Hines Bigshot pipes. I rented a '07 Heritage Classic from HD-Cool Springs last week for a couple days. I thought it ran and sounded great as is, and can't image how it would feel with MORE power. It is a great set of wheels.

I'm 5'8", so maybe I don't NEED the bike lowered, but I do like the feel of the height of the Softtail Custom (that what I meant in my fist post, not Softtail Classic) which is an inch lower than the Heritage Softtail Classic. So, I guess I'll hold off doing that until I've had the bike awhile, then decide.

Thanks again for your input leapfreak, and I hope to see ya motoring around Mid-TN.

TWD

Waterdog - Linda and I live in McEwen - about 58 miles from Columbia. I bought my bike from HD of Columbia. How's that for a coinsidence? This close, I am sure we can get together and do some riding with our ladies and stop and have some lunch or dinner in the weekends of summer ahead. Let me know when and where. Bruce

Sounds cool to me Bruce.

How did HD-Columbia treat you? Any problems? Are you taking your bike back there for service?

I'm talking to both Columbia and Cool Springs HD. I hope to finalize my purchase sometime next week.

TWD

Sounds cool to me Bruce.

How did HD-Columbia treat you? Any problems? Are you taking your bike back there for service?

I'm talking to both Columbia and Cool Springs HD. I hope to finalize my purchase sometime next week.

TWD

TWD - HD of Columbia treated me excellent. I had gone to the HD dealership in Clarksville but they would not work with me on the trade-in of my 1200 Sportster. Columbia gave me what I wanted for the Sportster and even gave me 20% off on add-on's that would be included in the sale. That's why I went ahead with the pipes, air box, race tuner, matching passenger seat and backrest and floorboards for Linda. FYI, I purchased the Sportster from HD of Cool Springs in August of 2005. They too were good to me and bend over backwards to accomodate my needs. Also, the same gentleman owns both Cool Springs and Columbia dealerships. In checking around for the best price on service, Clarksville has both beat. For an FLSTC the drive-out cost for the 1000 mile service is $238.00 and that includes synthetic oil. Both Cool Springs and Columbia are at about $300.00. If you would like to talk more about this one-on-one, send me a private message with your private email address and I will reply and give you my home phone number and we can discuss in detail any and all questions you might have. Linda and I have been looking for someone to ride with and not have to join any clubs or organizations so we are looking forward to meeting you both. We are two old farts - 57 & 56 - but we love to ride. Take care. Bruce

Thanks leapfreak,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, but I've been busy cleaning out/organizing my shed to make room for the Harley. :D

It looks like I'm going to be buying from HD-Columbia (my local dealer). They are due to receive a Heritage Classic in my desired colors later this week. Hopefully I'll be riding by the weekend. :cool:

I didn't know Columbia and Cool Springs have the same owner. I've been looking at both places, and both have treated me well. I rent a FLSTC from Cool Springs last week.

I guess I'll probably go ahead and do the pipes/breather/tuner with purchase, since they do give 20% off on accessories at sale. So, I might as well do it right from the start. They have that stuff included in a package deal with several other options like passenger footboards, engine guards, windshield bag, and upgrades for shifter/handgrips/footboards, etc. Did you get that same package? I'm also thinking of upgrading to the Chrome Profile Laced Wheels.

I'll most likely be riding alone for most of the spring/early summer, as my lovely young wife says she wants me to get some experience on 2 wheels back under my belt before she'll be ready to get on back. LOL! It's been over twelve years since I owned a bike and longer since I ridden regularly. I used to regularly put 5500 to 7000 miles a year on my 83 Shadow 750 in Ohio, even riding to work alot of days throughout the winters. Can't say as I blame her, but personally I felt VERY comfortable on the FLSTC after about an hour of riding the rental!

We both turn 50 this year, so we aren't far behind you guys. LOL. I look forward to getting together down the road. I'm sure we'll be talking more. I'll send you my email in a PM. I hope and pray that things are going better for Linda.

Talk to you later,

TWD

It sounds like the V&H mufflers are the way to go, but I've also heard several guys say the Screaming Eagle slip-ons are good too.

TWD

I started out with the Screamin Eagle slip-ons and the stage 1 breather upgrade on my 07 FLSTC when I bought the bike from the dealer. Personally, I think the slip-ons were just fine and gave it a nice sound. However, I think for the price you have to pay for the SE Slip-ons, you might be better getting the V&H?

I have since moved to a D&D Fat Cat 2 to 1 pipe that I absolutely love and I noticed a big increase in power!! I like the sound as well as it has a nice deep rumple to it, and you can for sure hear the pipe!! I am not sure why more people have not considered a 2-1 pipe for the FLSTC, but I think it sounds great as well as gives me more power then the V&H BSS (I am assuming this), which was the other pipes I was considering.

Back