free website stats program 2007 FXSTC 96 WITH 67k--BROKE IN OR WORN OUT?? | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 FXSTC 96 WITH 67k--BROKE IN OR WORN OUT??

bulldog10

Hi all--just getting back in after few years and a previous 91 FXRSP with 60k on it. Ran like a top.

So bought the FXSTC with 60k on it. Seems to run well. Bit of top end chatter but remember that as a normal thing.

How many miles would you expect this engine to have in it? At what point would you expect top end needs rebuilt? And any thing you'd expect as critical consideration at this mileage right away?

Thanks!!!

If you are referring to the '07FX in your name I would think 100K, depending on how the previous owner/s had run it. At 60K I would check your Cam Chain tensioners. They are the new hydraulic type and don't wear as much as the old Spring type but I would check them anyway. If you don't have a service manual it would be a great investment. Also if you had any maintenance records for the bike.
tourbox

Welcome to The Forum, Ray has you covered, A manual is your best fiend, you may want to check your clutch adjustment also

I would be hard pressed to guess on the bottom end. I'm in the process of replacing a crank assy. now, helping a friend. His was a 2000 or '02 Ultra with approx. 75K on it. The rear rod went South.
The old rule of thumb for Shovels, and possibly Evo's, was rebuild both(top & bottom) on second top end.
These TC's haven't been around as long as the Old stuff, including my Old self.
tourbox

Thanks all for input!! It seems that bottom is pretty solid re reliability. Thoughts on top end appreciated. Not burning oil so it seems no issues for moment. Previous owner did keep records but mostly did own work per logs. Dealer suggested total fluid change service. $250!!! That typical??
WAP.gif

Dealer suggested total fluid change service. $250!!! That typical??
WAP.gif

Yeah, typically outrageous! An experienced tech should be able to change all the fluids in under an hour. $250 is a total rip off if you ask me.

Back