free website stats program 2007 FB noise in 5th gear. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 FB noise in 5th gear.

2007 FB noise in 5th gear.:cool:

Heres what I know about 5th gear noise
What makes the noise even louder is lugging the gear.
In 5th gear at 60 MPH your cranking 2500 RPM
go any slower than this and your lugging the gear and need to drop into 4th.
according to HD most riders engine speed in any particular gear is to slow.

Just look at the numbers

2000 RPM

1st 15
2nd 25
3rd 30
4th 40
5th 48
6th 55

2500 through 4000 are your optimum RPM ranges
any thing lower your lugging and anything higher
your working the engine
I stay away from 2000 and there is no real need
to go over 4000, maybe occasionally :rolleyes: . Try turning to half throtle in any
gear and see what happens.
Best Regards
EZCRUZN 07

Last edited:
I have a 2007 Herage Softail. It is the finest Harley that I have ever owned. I have owned a few of them. I am 61 years old and have been riding on the street since High School. I addressed the hot motor issue with the $300.00 oil cooler from the P&A catalogue. Problem fixed, case closed. Why anyone would toss a thousand bucks at tuning stuff to cure a heat problem is beyond me.
Problem number two. the noisey transmission. Harleys are noisey, they are not Gold Wings. they are not supposed to sound like a blender. Noise isn't a transmission problem, broken gears are. I have not read one post with a blown transmission, has anyone? I have 10,000 miles on my 2007 and i am quite happy. If i never read the internet posts, i would not even be aware of the supposed problem. I usually shift into fifth at 55 to 60 mph and into sixth at 70 to 75 mph. i can run down the road all day at 80 mph and 3100 rpm on the tach. I have ridden mile after mile in fifth gear without a porblem. Most of the people complaining will probably put on ear shattering exhaust pipes and then whine about the transmission noise, I don't get what all the fuss is about. Once again will one of you tell me about blowing up your transmission or peeling all of the teeth off of fith gear because I haven't heard of that happening. Sorry for the rant, but i have heard enough expert advise about this non-problem.

I have an 07 Heritage with 4000+ and the trany nois has gotten less and less. The S-E Syn did help with the niose and really helped with the trany going into gear. It's alot smoother.

HTC'sFLSTC

If you think the SE SYN helped in the areas you say in your post, try some Mobil1 75-90 or 75-140 or Redline shockproof heavy or even Bel Ray GEAR OIL and you'll really be amazed. The syn3 is 20/50 engine oil and not the best choice for the trans.

As far as the 07 trans problem stated by HD Dan, it's a real thing even though you have never experienced it for yourself. It is more noticeable in fairing bikes an not as noticeable if at all in the lighter models like yours. Try riding a bagger and you'll see for yourself about this "non problem".

Just because your bike doesn't exhibit the problem or perhaps you don't hear it as well as the heavier bikes doesn't mean it isn't a problem by any means. There are many contributing factors here with this noise. Belt tension also plays a role it as well as a good gear oil that will lessen it to a small extent but not eliminate it.

I have been riding all my life also and after buying the 07, I realized there was a problem in the drive line and was entertaining the possibility of selling it because of the noises which I find very annoying and not normal by any means.

Being a mechanic for most of my life as well as a rider, I can certainly distinguish between something that is "normal" and something that isn't "normal" regardless of what the dealers try to force on people telling them that "it is normal" and "they all do that" and do it with with some success. From the replies I have read it becomes apparent that some customers believe what they are told by the dealers.
That marketing just doesn't fly in my book and to come on a forum and state as you did "Sorry for the rant, but i have heard enough expert advise about this non-problem" is not a great way to be accepted by it's members when you are obviously misinformed.

There has been an upgrade to the 08 bikes to eliminate this "non problem" that can be retrofitted to the 07 touring bikes. If it wasn't a problem in the 07 bikes, why does HD offer it as a standard piece on the 08 touring bikes .
It seems that their standard is to make various parts out of plastic verses metal in the past to make a fatter bottom line and also other parts removed that they deem unneeded but still market them as an add on like the fork air dam as only one example which by the way are still on some bagger models and also posted in the owners manual to remove them above 50* on these models.
Interesting concept here, isn't it?

It seems odd that they will install the IDS on the 08 bikes as a standard piece that bites into their profit and then include it in the price if there was no problems in the 07's.
Makes a person wonder!

HD 4 Life
HD is aware of this noise and swears that it is because of the straight spline of the #5 gear(s).

I find it interesting that in past years that all the HD gears were straight cut but none made the type of sound that the cruise drive transmissions make in 07. The 06 dyna's had the first cruise drive transmission and had bearing problems with that model too that had the owners of those bikes bringing the bike back for replacement of the bearings at 15K miles.

Could it possibly be the plastic retainers (in the transmission trap door no less) on the bearings in the 07 models or perhaps the small bearings themselves not being up to the task, or even the thin trap door on the cruise drive flexing or maybe the flexing of it that makes the clutch lever walk on accel or decel? Hmmm, I wonder now why some think it is the rider rather than the product!

I also find it odd that Baker Transmissions has come out with the F6F kit that addresses all the problems in these cruise drive transmissions that just aren't there by some posters opinions. Why would they waste all that money and do all that research for a problem that just wasn't there?
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6f/index.htm.

By the way, I added the IDS to my bike at my expense and it eliminated this "non problem" very nicely.
You can read the write up about it if you care to learn about it. http://www.hdtimeline.com/tech_tips/1303-new_ids_drive_system.html#post6053

Last edited:
Dang.

If I didn't know how easy-going of a guy Glider is, I might just think he got a little ticked off. :laugh

Who me? :s

It's easy to make a statement but if it can't be backed up with facts, then it's just an opinion and we know all about opinions.:D

Last edited:
what happened? Did you shut me out of the thread? Everyone must agree with Glider or you don't post it? I responded to Gliders attack on me twice and you didn't post it. If ya don't like the Harley noise get a HONDA.

hd dan
what happened? Did you shut me out of the thread? Everyone must agree with Glider or you don't post it? I responded to Gliders attack on me twice and you didn't post it. If ya don't like the Harley noise get a HONDA.

hd dan

I'm sorry that you consider my post which clearly furnishes enough facts and not opinions to be an attack.
I guess different people have different ideas of what an attack is.

I furnished facts to back up my statement trying to let members know that it is in fact a real issue with the 07 bikes like the one I own ,and there is a solution to the issue also as I posted.

If you would rather hold your view on the "non problem" then so be it.

glider

Hey Gider, Do you think that Harley would do a recall on the 5th gear niose on the 07 since they took care of it on the 08 ?? or would that just be a DREAM....., THX bb156

Back