free website stats program 2007 Fatboy Alarm issues..help! | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 Fatboy Alarm issues..help!

On a 2007 FatBoy? How recent did HD start putting the main Maxi fuse in fuse box like mine is? Or does it still depend on the model of bike you have.

The Maxi fuse is a seperate fuse to disable all the current on the bike. If your security system ever locks up ( and it will at some point in time), pull the maxi fuse to reset the computer, wait about five minutes, reinstall fuse, you should be good to go.
Waylon, sure glad you found the problem, i'm still confused on the fuse situation.
Floydster

Glider, Check this out. New battery fuse in , everything worked great. Drove 35 miles to the harley shop,5000 mile check up. Got about 20 miles down the road. Into a 60,000 pop. town , red lights . Going to the Harley Davidson dealership. Come off the first red light. It was like I was in third starting, bike killed , twenty cars behind me. flipped the on off and hit the starter and throttled up and it chugged. Blew my mind. How am I losing power on take off? I went through six red lights, each time it got worse. Didn't kill again at red lights. ;throttled again and again. Got to the dealer ship. Told them of the issues. 5000 miles on an immalculately cared for Fatboy. This was on Tuesday. I asked them to check the altenator and starter systems plus oill change and plugs. $275 for that. REDUNDANT! They found charging system fine, starter fine, found that the wiring going through to the back was hitting on the back tire. How the heck could that be. Am I at the wrong Harley Shop? Told me my battery was fine, charging and starter checked out okay. Said I needed a new back tire as you can only expect five k on a tire. Bill of near $900 . What am I missing. Anyone know these bikes Within 100 miles of Eau Claire , Wis. that would work for $40.00 cash per hour? I am almost ready to buy the equipment to run diagnostics myself. Good lord...Can't we build a more problem free bike? or, is it the add on's that sink it. So many parts are from those who don't speak english..must make most feel secure..I f anyone out there can maintain a pampered Fatboy and would treat it like thier own. Let me know. I pay cash and really would not prefer to pay for the building and all the employees...Semper Fi....

5K on a rear tire is about right if you do a lot of burnouts :D

It sounds like they are giving you a hosing for sure and the wiring problem under the rear fender is a common thing too so we can give them 2 points if it is true that it was rubbing. If you have some weight like 2 riders on the softails the tire can contact the fender and wear prematurely too. Not the ideal bike for riding two up with excess LBS on it.

Did you locate the problem with the power loss?

Waylon,
Did they fix the bike? There are many reasons I would NEVER take my bike to a Harley dealer, too many good custom shops around if you do a search.
Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.
By the way, I get 11,000 miles out of the Dunlaps I run on my V-Rod, however I don't do burnouts.
Floydster

Floydster, I am getting a little discusted with the shop. They are busy, a few fairly trained tech, and many running around that ochestrate whatever. 5000 miles on the back tire, didn't look bad to me. I have never done a burn out. I have only driven the bike 1200 miles, all good roads also. They found a short in the wiring going through the rear fender, said the harness was rubbing on the tire. I don't feel comfortable at all. We'll see. Had the starter checked our as with the charging system. Of course, it's 50 bucks each to do so. About $800 total, I am not ignorant, I have a service manual and for the most part understand it. I just built a 383 stroker from a chevy small block and put into my 70 gmc ck 2500. I watch the air pressure daily in both tires, my bike lives in a clean environment with a cover after it cools. I have never had it over 65 mph. Don't ride the freeways, just a cruizer, I am a retired medic and technology trades person. I sure would appreciate any suggestions anyone could give me. I am willing to take this bike out of state to insure it's capabilities are held within the standards that they need to follow...The bike is spotless, everything I own is spotless, except my two border collies..I am a man of order..military thing...thanks everyone..help me find someone that can tell me more than, gee, not sure what it is. What cause a bike to lug. After twenty care free miles on a good highway, coming into stop lights. starting out in low, it chugged like I was in third taking off. Would a short cause that, I did have my auxillary lights on. My battery checked charging at 12.6. harley shop says thats tolerable. what's every ones thoughts...thanks...

never had a rider, my wife don't ride, would like to go to a solo seat. Has a mustang seat on it. I am afraid if I went solo it would make the harley hard bags look gonad. Kind of nice to have some room for tools, a hat, place to put a few small groceries.. Some times I really wonder, I was just trying to get better mileage. If I could find five or six exemplary harley techs I would open a shop In Eau Claire, town of around 60,000 or so. It could use it. I have the finances to build and equip. The only shop we have stays fairly busy. A lot of the new bikes many don't know much about. I could easily invest 200k to get going. Any body interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Waylon...12.6V with battery connected to charging system is NOT okay. After you start your bike, the battery float charge reserve (250A for 2-4 secs would have been drained battery to fundamental 12.6V...normal full charged voltage.

Go to Harbor Freight buy their DMM on sale for $1.99 (even cheaper with their 20% off coupon and free mini LED flashlight (also works good BTW) and measure the voltage at idle and then rev up just a little...should settle about 13.6 to 14.2VDC, as the stator should be able to run up the voltage to charge battery and run the EFI, ECM, Lights, Ignition and such. If not, all that is happening is you are running the battery down on reserve only.

The shop had to order a part, bike won't be out until next tuesday. I will ask have a hard copy demanded of all diagnostic test results. As they went through the starter and ingnition, stated all per spec. Something is killing the battery, perhaps it was the short that was rear wiring rubbing on the tire. I will know within 20 miles. With my auxillary lighting on there was definitely something wrong. Felt like I was in third gear when leaving from a stop. I will share all information on Tuesday of next week. I do appreciate the help and will follow all information given..thanks, it really makes me wonder if some mechanics do have the ability to track problems. It's a new bike, nothing fancey..just a dressed up fatboy...thanks

I want to thank all who helped me on this. Got my fatboy back yesterday. This is what they found. When the hard bags were put on the wiring on both sides was installed wrong. Both wire were literally burnt through and two inches of wire was showing on both sides. Incorectly mounted wires, yes, through a harley shop in south carolina, doesn't matter which one. Had to replace the whole rear assembly. Because everyone knows you can't buy just the harness seperate, you need to buy the lights also. Part of. In any case all appears to be well. Security system up and responding fine, full power restored. When running, charging system is where it should be per harley specifications, replaced tire at five thousand miles, i was told this happens. Meant to wear. Oil change and some little module that fried due to the short..left them $775...learned lesson about how not to wire harley hard bags. Bike had not been lowered and i ride alone. So far anyway. 86 in the shade today, just got off a tractor, again thanks to all who commented. Only help i can use now is if someone knows a good harely mechanic outside of a shop around the eau claire, wisconsin area..

Last edited by a moderator:
Incorectly mounted wires, yes, through a harley shop in south carolina, doesn't matter which one. ..

Sure it does!

While we certainly are not here just to promote dealership bashing, this is how riders in the area can make informed decisions about where they want to spend their hard earned $$$.

I know if I lived in SC, I'd be very interested in who had done this.

Back