free website stats program 2007 883 Sportster shifting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

2007 883 Sportster shifting problem

grantjo

Well, I finally purchased a 2007 sporty for my 18 year old son so he could start improving his skills and ride with good ol pops.

The problem is that when he down shifts he complains that the transmission gets stuck between 2nd and 1st. he has to shut off the bike and play with it to get it to work. The scooter only had 700 mile on it when I bought it 3 months ago. had all the fluids changed.

Any Ideas on correcting the problem?

First may I ask what fluids you used? Second did you check the clutch adjustment yourself? Third did you ride it and are you having the same problem?

Rubyred has a good video on how to adjust the clutch, low miles and if the bike has not been ridden much it is possible a good adjustment is all is needed here, may want to check the belt adjustment too:s

It may be that if the bike has not been used for a while that the clutch cable could do with some lubrication
checking the clutch adjustment may help
repositioning the gear leaver so that he can get a better throw on it may help
Having the wrong grade/type of oil in the trans may affect clutch operation as well as gearbox operation
as the primary and gearbox share the same oil in the sportster an oil specifically created for use in a sportster transmission will give best results

Brian

adjust the clutch pack,clutch cable, the primary chain as well as the final drive belt and ensure that they are within specs/tolerance.

also to be sure change out the primary fluid as its due it as only 700miles its 1st service time - i would like to think its been done but swap it out anyways its only 1 bottle of formula +, available from the dealer and simple drain down and swap.

The bike just came out of a service. But I think I will go ahead and drain and fill up with quality fluids. Not sure what the dealer put in it. I will also check the adjustments. I have had the same outcome when I ride the scooter as when he does so it has to be a mechanical thing. With only 700 mile on it in 5years i guess a lot of things are probably gummed up.

THANKS

With only 700 mile on it in 5years i guess a lot of things are probably gummed up.

THANKS
say what again - 700 miles in 5yrs !!!!!!! thats criminal - personally i would get marvel mystery oil or any exceptionally good engine flush and run it through the bike both primary and motor and then complete another service once this has been through the bike - there could be as you say gummed up parts that are sticking - if it was mine i would be running Fortron engine flush, and fuel treatment through it as well to ensure any varnish was removed from the injectors

If I have any suspicion of the injectors or they have been there for that long, I'd have them removed and tested and cleaned. If there is an issue, I don't trust those "cleaner in a can" snake oils to get it to where it should be.

Back