free website stats program 2006 XLC 883 Custom Sportster running rich | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 XLC 883 Custom Sportster running rich

MFL1

Hello All,

I have a 2006 XLC 883 Custom Sportster that seems to be running rich. I get some spitting and popping at lower rpms.

The bike has Vance & Hines performance pipes (installed by prior owner) and the prior owner said it has a dyno kit.

Otherwise the bike is stock and in cherry condition; 4700 miles.

I put new plugs in this weekend. I checked the air filter and it smells of gas.

What is the typical reason that this particular bike would run rich. Air temp was in the 70's, air was dry, running Sunoco Ultra, gasoline is treated with anti-alcohol additive from cycle shop.

Thanks!

The spitting and popping is usually a LEAN mixture. Your mention of the dyno kit looks like it's a carbed bike. Do you know what jetting you have in it? That's usually the cause of the popping and spitting on the sportsters, the mixture is too lean and rejetting is needed.

The fuel smell is probably from popping back from the intake.

Read this...

Harley Davidson Community

I agree with Glider. The other thing that I can add is that after you do a little research on this site, you should loose the "Dynojet". Its probably a Thunderslide kit and IMO is more trouble than its worth. I had one in my ride when I bought it. I finally went back all stock with the mods suggested on the link Glider gave you. I never looked back.

Bodeen is right about the DJ kit. More problems getting them to work than they are worth. Just a simple rejet in most cases will run the best.

As has already been said DJ kit seems to cause a wee bit of a problem from time to time
depending on which kit has been fitted and what has all been done to return to stock you may have to replace the slide, needle, jets and emulsifier

Brian

Hello All, First of all --- many thanks for this amazing amount of feedback. I really appreciate it. The bike is indeed a carbed bike -- CV carb with screaming eagle air filter setup. I will ask the prior owner if the bike was rejetted when the dyno kit and pipes were installed.

This is my first Harley --- I used to race motocross bikes in my day, was always tearing down the carbs and transmissions and so on, but new to Harley setups, so I wanted to be sure of what I was doing before starting in on tinkering.

Again many thanks!

Hello All, First of all --- many thanks for this amazing amount of feedback. I really appreciate it. The bike is indeed a carbed bike -- CV carb with screaming eagle air filter setup. I will ask the prior owner if the bike was rejetted when the dyno kit and pipes were installed.

This is my first Harley --- I used to race motocross bikes in my day, was always tearing down the carbs and transmissions and so on, but new to Harley setups, so I wanted to be sure of what I was doing before starting in on tinkering.

Again many thanks!

MFL1

I have a 2006 1200 R and just a low speed jet change was all i needed to improve the runability and cure the low speed Cough and spitting..:D

I get 48/50 mpg constant and have python 3's full exhaust and arlen ness big suck air.. It does get up and move....:newsmile03:

Simple to work on the STOCK carb.. I too Don't like the dyno-jet..

I always replace the 4 phillips headed carb bowl screws to allen's at 5/8" to improve ease of changing the jets while carb on the bike..

signed....BUBBIE

Hello Folks,

So I have a little more information on my spitting and popping 883 sporty.

The fellow who sold it to me that the bike does NOT have a dyno kit, rather the bike was tested on a dynamometer.

Also, the bike sat for 2 years without being run -- although he did have a stabilizer in the gas.

The bike does have Vance and Hines pipes, which were installed when it had 900 miles on it. He reports --- I think quite reliably -- the there was no spitting or popping when he had the bike.

He does not know if the bike was rejetted when the V&H pipes were installed.

My plan is to install a new air filter -- the current one is pretty gunky --- and I'll see how she runs.

Given that the spitting and popping (at low r's) may be a more recent development since the bike has been getting used again, would anyone have additional thoughts on the issue (considering of course that it still could be running LEAN)?

Thanks!

If it were my bike I'd top it off with some premium and hit the open road and ride it hard. You know blow the COBS out of it like you used to do with your parents car when you were a kid. :D

Back