free website stats program 2006 xl883 maxi fuse keeps shorting out | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 xl883 maxi fuse keeps shorting out

geno

I'm having trouble finding a short on a 2006 883. new battery 12.3 volts when i plug in the maxi fuse it blows. I disconnected the regulator to see if I have battery power and the front turn signals and indicator lights come on????? with no key so they are evedently drawing juice. I also checked the handle bar controls wiring no breaks but the bike has been down on that side and the left turn sig. switch button is pushed into the housing. any help would be appreciated.

I'm having trouble finding a short on a 2006 883. new battery 12.3 volts when i plug in the maxi fuse it blows. I disconnected the regulator to see if I have battery power and the front turn signals and indicator lights come on????? with no key so they are evedently drawing juice. I also checked the handle bar controls wiring no breaks but the bike has been down on that side and the left turn sig. switch button is pushed into the housing. any help would be appreciated.

Chops Garage - Electrical Wiring Diagrams 12.75 is full charge on battery

I disconnected the regulator to see if I have battery power and the front turn signals and indicator lights come on????? with no key

You did nothing else except unplug your voltage regulator and the turn signals starting flashing?

It is "almost" impossible for that to happen. You would have to have a flaky ignition switch for that to happen. Something really off the walls would have to be wrong to have power to that branch with the key off. Is the bike bone stock or has there been some electrical modes done to it.

You did nothing else except unplug your voltage regulator and the turn signals starting flashing?

It is "almost" impossible for that to happen. You would have to have a flaky ignition switch for that to happen. Something really off the walls would have to be wrong to have power to that branch with the key off. Is the bike bone stock or has there been some electrical modes done to it.

Hoop, how about since it was tipped over maybe it is in alarm mode?

Hoop, how about since it was tipped over maybe it is in alarm mode?

But it should not draw that much current to blow a Maxi Fuse. A short so strong it blows the Maxi fuse and NO other fuse can only originate at the voltage regulator or a crushed wire caused by the battery shifting from the fall?
Maybe (?). Really hard to say.

Theory,,, The regulator is dead shorted. He Unplugs that regulator and now he can install a Maxi fuse without it blowing. Ignition switch is bad so power is now supplied to fuse branches. Having a Crushed hand grip switch makes the turn signal blink.

You got me, only a guess.:)

But it should not draw that much current to blow a Maxi Fuse. A short so strong it blows the Maxi fuse and NO other fuse can only originate at the voltage regulator or a crushed wire caused by the battery shifting from the fall?

Theory,,, The regulator is dead shorted. He Unplugs that regulator and now he can install a Maxi fuse without it blowing. Ignition switch is bad so power is now supplied to fuse branches. Having a Crushed hand grip switch makes the turn signal blink.

Sounds reasonable to me:s

The only electrical mods were H-D spotlights the left one was damaged in the crash so I removed them and all the wiring for them. The only thing i havent done yet is remove the tank and start tracing out the main harness. Never ran into this before. The lights dont blink when i plug in the maxi they just come on and stay on with the directional indicator lights?????? WEIRD. Would it be the ign. switch or something in the front turn signal circuit? The battery is brand new and i checked and cleaned all the connections and they are tight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back