free website stats program 2006 street glide oil pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 street glide oil pressure

Eddy1

just bought 2006 street glide & oil pressure at idle is about 5 # about 1800 rpms pressure about 25#. dealer said thats about normal. what do you guys think? what year did they come out with the hyd cam chain setup? all input will be appreciated

Hyd cam tensoners started in 07. Pressure sounds low but it is a high volume low pressure pump.

just bought 2006 street glide & oil pressure at idle is about 5 # about 1800 rpms pressure about 25#. dealer said thats about normal. what do you guys think? what year did they come out with the hyd cam chain setup? all input will be appreciated

Is that pressure at start up or after engine warms up?

I would confirm that @ idle with a known good gauge, some times H D gauges are not the best IMO

I would confirm that @ idle with a known good gauge, some times H D gauges are not the best IMO

Like Jack says... first cross check that reading you have. HD gas gauges are +- 20% so I would not trust their oil pressure readings as well.

----------------------------------

Eddy1,

Until 07 and Up on the TC engines, the oil pump had less Gearoter sizes and pumped a little Less Volume. Especially on the Return side of the pump.... Knowing this for many years, the HD people used the term Out Of Alignment on the oil pump as a way to get the oil pressure to pump back up to the 30/35 levels(sweet spot)......I didn't believe this UNTIL the Many times I witnessed it for my self! YES the pump has to be Perfectly aligned to achieve the higher pressure...

A Recent Example of that is when I had My 09 apart @10,000 miles, to put in the new cams(SE255) in... I aligned MY oil pump while putting it back together,,,, Turning engine over by turning the rear tire forward with spark plugs out, in 5 gear,,,,,, on the oil pump Re-install,,,, torquing the bolts on the cam support plate Loosen and Tighten , Loosen and RE-tightening as said in my Big Book and Turning engine Forward at the same time,,,,,,, The oil pump is then aligned in the Right (sweet) Spot.... THEN Torque all 4 pump bolts, Using the torque pattern and settings.

Now it may have been the new cams? tighter? (i doubt it) but the oil pressure Has been HIGHER since the cam job I did by 5/6 pounds on an average.... I have the same gauge installed since bike was new, so No change there..

My 09 bike ran at 25/30 (hot) at 1800 RPM and UP on the gauge Before the Cam job and the RE-alignment of the oil pump, when I put it back together,, pressure ran at a constant 5/6 lbs More at the same Known comparisons(heat and RPM's) ...

Now mind you I did use the same oil,20/50 Redline and only HD filters SO the only thing I can say about this IS:

Proper oil pump alignment IS IMPORTANT.... Even when the bike is off the show room floor IT MAY need the "Proper Way" to set the oil pump IN the SWEET Spot... Even HD Doesn't get things Perfect All the Time!

Now that is my story and I'm sticking to it!

The Newer oil pump Has gotten rid of the scavenging problem in the Older TC motor and when converted to the KIT, has has had Less problems there.

As far as the 2000 bike you ASK is 25# low,,,,,, IF it has been that Pressure for a long time and the 5 lbs IS when it is Hot ,,, I would not worry about it..... make sure the idle is UP at 1100 RPM and NOT lower to see if the idle pressure comes up a bit and go with that!

IF mine,,, I would Buy and Install the "KIT"#25284-08 to replace the oil pump, cam support plate, chains and Modern Hydraulic tensioner system Offered in the KIT for 429.95.... Kit will up-grade your bike to be like the BETTER 07's and Up of todays models.

You could not get all the parts in That "kit" for that 429$ Just the Modern Bigger oil pump would cost about that and here You replace ALL the cam-chest problems From the older style TC's to the Better NEWER system...

Just MY Way! :D

signed....BUBBIE

Eddie1,

I looked at your avitar and saw the 2000 bike,,,,, BUT the 06 is Just the SAME and I should of put in the numbers correctly tho:::: 2006,,, Just to clarify The 06 has the Old Style stuff!

i had my 2000 changed over & just got rid of bike.i guess i'll have to have the 06 done. oil pressure cold idle 15 # above 1800 35#.hot about 5# idle & about 35 above 2000 rpms

i had my 2000 changed over & just got rid of bike.i guess i'll have to have the 06 done. oil pressure cold idle 15 # above 1800 35#.hot about 5# idle & about 35 above 2000 rpms

The hot oil press. on my '07 is about what you put in the last post above 2,000 rpm. I don't look at the gauge at hot idle, it just scares me for nothing. Like other post said, HD oil press gauges probably vary as much as fuel gauges do.

----------------------------------

YES the pump has to be Perfectly aligned to achieve the higher pressure...

Turning engine over by turning the rear tire forward with spark plugs out, in 5 gear,,,,,, on the oil pump Re-install,,,, torquing the bolts on the cam support plate Loosen and Tighten , Loosen and RE-tightening as said in my Big Book and Turning engine Forward at the same time,,,,,,, The oil pump is then aligned in the Right (sweet) Spot...

Bubbie, so you are saying that I can align the pump without using those taper alignment pins. I am sure you know what I am talking about. A set of 3 screw in tapered pins used to align an oil pump. What's the story on those pins. Are they necessary?

Back