2006 Stock King pop on decel....

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Rider63, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Rider63

Rider63 Member

Hello need a bit of help, just bought a 2006 Roadking police with 1,970 miles, I know the guy did not ride much, well its all stock no mods... I have a poping on decel...
    I checked exhaust no leaks...
    Checked intake no leaks....

Could it be its just real lean from factory?

I am stunned, please help... Thanks.

2. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

how many of the 1,970 miles have you put on since getting it? might just need some fuel "cleaner" such as Sea-foam , MM or such and a little high octane fuel to "get the dust of the throttle", 2006 with that few miles. And - if you havent already - drain all the fluids and put in some fresh.

3. xcavater

xcavater Member

I would drain the gas tank, refill with 93+ octane and half can seafoam. Run it hard, lots of different throtle openings, run it up against the rev limiter, cruise, part throttle, the works. A couple of tanks of good fresh gas with cleaner will fix it right up.
    Check the date of manufacture, if its between 9/05 and 2/06 it probably still has 8 degree injectors. It wouldn't hurt to upgrade to the 25 degree injector HD switched to after 2/12.

4. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

My thinking is follow the suggestions here then I would also say get a simple TFI or gen3 from Dobecks... TOO Lean problem gone.

Look into the TFI,Gen3, as you get a forum discount from Dobecks 50$ and free shipping for being a HDT member.

Wasn't the Police bike a 95" not an 88" ?

Needs Fuel... I like the injector change also.

All of the above are easy to do checks and modifications yourself.

Help is here.:bigsmiley23:

signed....BUBBIE

5. Rider63

Rider63 Member

Yep he never road it, I had it 1 month and put over 1200 miles...

I will try the seafoam and if that dont work the we go big TFI...
    Thanks for the help all.
    Ride safe...

6. horizonchaser

horizonchaser Senior Member Contributor

The TFI worked for me. My bike was notorious for decel popping. Now the bike runs cooler, better, & sounds good too! :s
    It was money well spent IMO and you do get a HDTalking discount. They did it for me, they'll do it for you too! Good deal.

7. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on how things pan out & congrats on that sweet garage queen. Nice find!

8. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

hold up here , slow down guys ---- Hey Rider63 ,, you have had it roughly a month & put 1200 miles on it. So when you bought it , it only had a est. 770 miles right? with you putting 1200 mls on it , Im sure youve gone thru a couple tanks of hi oct. fuel right? is this decel pop been there since you got the bike or has it just started doing so , is it getting worse or staying the same??? Does it seem to have the "umpf" when you get into the throttle , any hesitations at all???? Sorry - if you can give a tad bit more info.

9. Rider63

Rider63 Member

Hello, no it was under 2000 miles when I bought it, I have on it 3,200 miles now...

I spoke to the seller yesterday and he told me the poping started last year after he let it seat for 8 months only chargeing the battery...

This weekend I will try the Seafoam, put a full tank of 93 octain and 5 ounces of Seafoam and hit the road.

And yes my friend has a Roadking and he told me mine feels sluggish compared to his (a 2005), so maybe the Seafoam is what the Doctor ordered...

Thanks for all the help guys... I am very glad to be on this Forum...

Ride safe, and GOD Bless our troops and Country....

10. TUCCI

TUCCI Member

There's no way to add fuel with the stock ECM. I fixed my decel popping by adding 5% fuel to the O% throttle column from 750-1200RPM and that fixed mine (Power Commander 5). If you can find a gently used fuel manager in the classifieds I would snatch it up. Your plug coloring will reflect the increased fuel from the stock representation.