free website stats program 2006 Sporty Speedometer calibration | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Sporty Speedometer calibration

SJPhil

Banned
I have a 2006 1200C. The speedo was jumping all over the place. All lights and turn signals working fine. Pulled and cleaned the VSS resulting in constant speedo readings. Now the problem is that the (newly experienced) constant readings are about 5-15 MPH too fast. Seems to be a calibration issue, no? Going to check the diagnostic codes today...thanks forum for that bit of info! Always willing and appreciative of additional suggestions and/or comments.

Hi all: I just cleaned my VSS which stopped my speedo needle's erratic display (bouncing all around the actual speed I'm traveling). Now, the speedo displays between 5-20 MPH faster than I'm actually traveling. I assume this because I passed a cop doing "85!" and did not get pulled over. That, and I frequently cruise 90 while keeping pace with traffic. Just saying...it's a good indicator.

Talked with three HD dealer service manager's (all claiming to be Certified HD mechanics) who all put the touch on me to bring it in and let them charge me $120 to diagnose the problem before they charge me for whatever parts I need. One Service Mgr says replace the VSS because it is sending flawed data through to the ICM (carb model) and on to the speedo. Another said replace the speedo because that is where the the calibration unit resides. The third guy said the calibration unit was part of the ICM. Who do I believe? All my turn signals work fine, neutral light works and the bike runs very well.

The Official HD Maintenance guide is silent on the subject, as it is in regards to the existence of diagnostic codes, and how to get / use them.

Thanks and I appreciate any advice and suggestions any folks might offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before replacing or doing anything, get a reading of how much your off from calibration. Using a second hand on a wrist watch, time yourself between mile markers on an interstate while the speedo reads exactly 60 MPH. If your running the correct aspect ratio of tires made for your bike, 1 mile should take 60 seconds @ 60 mph. Then alter your actual speed so that mile markers pass you by each 60 seconds and then see what the speedo reads. If you have not changed your belt pulley size or tire ratio, I would be surprised if' it's off more than 5%.
There are simple calibrators available to fix that type of problem.

Back