free website stats program 2006 softtail standard | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 softtail standard

HOLY DIVER

thinking about trading my current ride for a soft tail standard a guy has on craigslist...the soft tail is beautiful just have a few questions,all the 2006 soft tail standards on youtube have the 88B motor did they all come with the balanced engine or with the standard 88 also,second question this bike has a 4 over ultima front end with 5 degree rake in it.how will this front end make the bike handle? not much different than stock? terrible?

The softail has the 88B motor with counterbalancer. The softail is a solid mounted engine, your RK is rubber mounted. As for the front end are you saying that it has 5* raked trees?

The 2006 Standard has 32* rake and 21"front wheel. Giving the trees 5* more rake and the front forks 4" longer will change the trail, which will change the handling. I would want to ride the bike before I pulled the trigger.

May I step in here?

My Softail is barebones stock in the suspension department. I can't imagine what/how to make it better. I would be very careful, in your case, buying a modded bike. One of the earlier suggestions was to ride before you buy. I would take that suggestion seriously!

If the seller is willing, I would recommend a parking lot, and a highway test drive.

Just my overpriced .02¢ worth.

Cheers!
Ferrous

I agree with the others. In stock form it is a very good riding and handling bike. I would be a little leary, as he probably was just going for a certain look and did not do the proper math for rake and trail, but i am just guessing. Does the owner have the stock fork tubes and trees for it would be one question I'd be asking.

The extra 5° rake will make low speed (parking lot) handling suffer a bit. It should also make the bike more stable at high speed. SHOULD is the key.
Test riding and asking about original parts is good advice.

ok so i went a rode the soft tail today..........not my cup of tea at low speed the handling was not there.......

Several years back I put 6 or 7 deg. raked trees on my Hard Tail. The frame has a 40 deg. rake on it. I did this to get the Trail back in line. After doing some research I found that the Racked trees should Not be put on a frame with Less than 40 deg. rake. I would stay away from it or go back to stock.
tourbox

Back