free website stats program 2006 softail standard primary leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 softail standard primary leaking

whiskeybent

i have a 2006 softail standard. i got tired of the primary belt drive that was on it so i replaced it with a complete primary from a 2003 softail. after riding the bike about 300 miles now it has a leak from the rear of the primary. i have never replaced one of these before and wanted to make sure i did it right. how far should i have installed the inner primary race on the transmission shaft?--should i have used any sealer on the race? i used sealer at the inner gaskets for the back four bolts to the transmission but should i have used sealer at the bolts inside the primary? also is any type of sealer used at the starter shaft to the jackshaft area? it seems to only leak when riding at hwy speeds on extended trips. any help is appreciated.

i have a 2006 softail standard. i got tired of the primary belt drive that was on it so i replaced it with a complete primary from a 2003 softail. after riding the bike about 300 miles now it has a leak from the rear of the primary. i have never replaced one of these before and wanted to make sure i did it right. how far should i have installed the inner primary race on the transmission shaft?--should i have used any sealer on the race? i used sealer at the inner gaskets for the back four bolts to the transmission but should i have used sealer at the bolts inside the primary? also is any type of sealer used at the starter shaft to the jackshaft area? it seems to only leak when riding at hwy speeds on extended trips. any help is appreciated.

Firstly, do you have a HD Factory Service manual cover your model and year? If not, get one.

Second, check to make sure that the tranny top cover does not have that stupid little "J" tube vent line (#405) on it blowing tranny lube mist on the back of the inner primary. If it does, get some tubing from the auto parts place and route it over the tranny to the other side and down below the engine/tranny.

TRANSMISSION HOUSING - 2006 Harley Davidson Softail Standard FXSTI

See here:

Primary Oil Leak - Harley Davidson Community

Inner primary mounting bolts: should have sealant applied to the "stand-offs" on the tranny BEFORE mounting inner primary. Also apply sealant to the mounting bolts (#4 below) that mount to the stand-offs.

Seals: Replace the oil seal (starter shaft)(#26), and the inner primary oil seal (#24).

PRIMARY HOUSING - 2006 Harley Davidson Softail Standard FXSTI

Race: The book will tell you exactly, but the race goes on leaving just enough room to get the puller yoke behind it in case it needs to be removed as some point. Another option to consider in the future is the Baker High Torque Bearing Kit. To me this is a better option than putting the race on the shaft.

BAKER Drivetrain | Premium Drivetrain Upgrades | Pieces Parts

TQ

thanks for the advice. i did see oil on top of the transmission the last time i was cleaning my bike so i bet it is the vent tube leaking. i still have the "j" vent tube so i will try replacing it to see what happens.

i checked the vent tube over the weekend to see if that was where the oil leak was coming from...the tube is dry and shows no signs of leaking. im sure the oil that has leaked is coming from the primary because the transmission oil is a different color. i put the bike up on the jack to trace the oil leak..its hard to tell but i believe its coming from the inner primary seal. this makes me wonder if i got the inner bearing race installed far enough in to properly contact the seal?

i checked the vent tube over the weekend to see if that was where the oil leak was coming from...the tube is dry and shows no signs of leaking. im sure the oil that has leaked is coming from the primary because the transmission oil is a different color. i put the bike up on the jack to trace the oil leak..its hard to tell but i believe its coming from the inner primary seal. this makes me wonder if i got the inner bearing race installed far enough in to properly contact the seal?

How far did you install it to? You only need to leave enough space for the yoke of the pulling tool to get inside the race. The book should have the exact spec. I am at work so I can't look it up, but let me see some of the stuff in download to see what the spec is. Will edit this with that number. Book says:

0.100"

Any worry that you damaged the lip seal when installing the inner primary? And you used lots of sealant on the stand-offs and bolt threads, right?

TQ

Attachments

• Mainshaft Bearing Inner Race.pdf
    126 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
i finally got around to taking apart the primary to trace the leak. it has been leaking at the inner primary seal. the inner race was about .075 of an inch from the sprocket and i could visibly see where the seal was riding on the race so im sure it was positioned correctly. i dont really see anything that would stand out as an obvious reason for the leak. the only thing i noticed was that the inner seal wasnt installed all the way flush with the inside of the primary case..it was about .010 of an inch from being installed flush with the case. i replaced all seals and gaskets--this time i used a small amount of rtv on the inner primary seal and used an installer to position it about .010 of an inch below surface inside of the case. i hope this works

Back