free website stats program 2006 Softail Service Manual Confusion | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Softail Service Manual Confusion

burchis

I recently bought an 2006 Softail service manual that came on DVD. I have found a contradicting setting for the primary chain tension.

On page 1-8, in the Quick Reference Maintenance Chart, the manual states the deflection when hot should be 5/8-7/8.

On page 1-25, in the section on how to make the adjustment, this setting is given as 3/8-5/8. These two settings are reversed with reference to a hot or cold engine.

Can anyone cross check their manual for which setting is correct?

Thanks for any help.

I asked the same question last week.

I'll be right back

This was the response I got. It made sense to me

"Always best to do adjustments when cold
but the clutch drum and compensator are the bits with the most expansion making the chain tighter when hot cold settings take account of this expansion"

Brian

I would rather make the adjustment when cold, but what setting do I use. The manual gives different numbers. Do you have a manual, I would be curious to know if your manual gives conflicting settings.

When cold, the tolerance would be more loose than the hot setting. Also, roll the bike foward and re-check, as the slack varies slightly along different areas along the chain length (better slightly loose than too tight.

I would rather make the adjustment when cold, but what setting do I use. The manual gives different numbers. Do you have a manual, I would be curious to know if your manual gives conflicting settings.

My 95 HD manual calls for the following measurements:
5/8 to 7/8 -inch cold and 3/8to 5/8 inch slack while hot

Back