free website stats program 2006 softail oil tank assembly | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 softail oil tank assembly

BikerTrash

I rode home from work the other day and noticed there was oil drops on the tank and back my pipes. Most was where the dipstick and the two oil lines come out of it. I noticed the one oil line seemed a little loose at the tank. I started the bike, and of course couldn't see any coming out anywhere. I was wondering if anyone had this issue, and what they did? I have a feeling it is the loose oil line at the tank. If I pull out the tank, is there a nut to tighten this line, and can I get to it. I'm not sure if the tank is sealed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The oil lines clip into the fitting on the tank and there's nothing to tighten there.
Check out this post for more info on the tool to remove the oil lines from the tank.

Complete Oil Change (softail) - Harley Davidson Community

Also I would check the air cleaner for any signs of oil in there that could blow back on the bike. A misaligned oil pump or overfilled oil level could cause that.

Thanks Glider, I'll look for that tool. The bike's oil level is good, not too full. I will loo at the air cleaner, but the main oil drips are at that oil line at the tank. Thanks for the help.

I've got a 94 softail and Glider may be right about checking your AC. I looked for days trying to find where the oil was coming from that was getting on the oil tank, trans cover and the exhaust pipes. Turned out to be just what Glider says, it was coming out of the air cleaner and blowing back and toward the front of the bike. some of the oil was even getting on the right front fork.

I checked the air cleaner, no oil. It is not that far forward. Oil is at tank lines. I haven't found that tool yet Glider suggested, but still looking. Thanks Don.

Back