free website stats program 2006 Road King Fuel Smell | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Road King Fuel Smell

xcavater

After riding home today in 91 degree weather the garage filled with the strong smell of gas.
I checked for obvious fuel leaks and found none. Unscrewing the gas cap allowed pressure to release and I could hear what I think was gas boiling. I put the cap back on and within a minute or 2 removing the gas cap would cause a pressure release.
This is new. Yesterday and all last summer there was no smell of gas after I parked the bike hot.

I'm digging into the Service Manual now, just thought I'd throw it out here first.

Specs:
2006 Road King
12,500 miles
Stage 1
3/4 tank of fuel

Not sure how the 2006 vents the fuel tank. Its either the via the fuel cap or there is a tube that runs down the inside of the console to in front of the seat. On mine the tube was plugged at the end. It has a check valve of sorts that is directional in the way it works. If it has the tube arrangement, blow it out.

The tank is building enough pressure to push fuel out wherever it can.

Update:

I checked the vapor valve. Removed valve and could blow into it (in the direction of the ground) and could not suck air through it. I checked the line between the valve and the tank it allows air both ways.
The gas cap is vented correctly, it allows air in but not out.

Thanks

Something's got to be plugged if the tank is building pressure.

The line between the tank and the valve is only 1/4" maybe it's building more than it can vent? The garage reeks of gas so it's definitely venting. I've usually left the bike outside while I went in and opened the garage, got a drink, left a drink, whatever. My wife has been home before me lately so she has been opening the door and I've just rolled in hot. Maybe it's normal that the tank vents till the jugs cool down?

I agree it should be venting through the tube. You should not have pressure build up in the tank that you can release by removing the cap. Has it been running good?

It's been running perfect. And I've never noticed pressure when removing the cap before so I'm sure something has changed. I had the console off last may when I changed the fuel filter and checked the lines in the tank. I'll pull the console, maybe the vent line is partially crushed.

That would cause it. Check the check valve at the end of the line too. IF it has one.

There is what looks like a check valve at the tank fitting. It's definitely restricted. I can blow freely in one direction but very limited in the other. If I read the manual right, I can't find it now but, I think that this check valve is supposed to close if the bike turns over preventing a fuel spill.
I removed it and reinstalled the line to the fitting. I'll hit the dealer tomorrow and see if they have a valve in stock that I can look at.

My new bike has been doing the same thing since day 1. Had it to the dealer twice and they can't find the problem. Last time all they did was replace the gas cap. No difference. Now they say I might have a bad injector that they will swap out. They're not sure which one might be bad, so they will change them both. I don't think thats the problem, but they're the experts. My tank is building pressure also. Removed the cap after 5 minutes of shut down and you can hear the pressure releasing. I changed the headers out a few weeks ago to non cats, and I don't smell the gas as much anymore, but still smell it some.

Back