free website stats program 2006 Road King Custom Mods for a tall rider | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Road King Custom Mods for a tall rider

Frank P

I recently purchased a 2006 Road King Custom. I am 6'3" tall with some long legs. am hoping to make the bike more comfortable by making some minor changes like changing the seat to get me back farther, extending the shifter Levers a couple of inches so my big feet can shift easier, and posssiby changing the bars to stretch out a bit. I know there are a ton of seats and bars out there , has any one out there tried to accomplish the same, Can you suggest any things that have worked for you? I am sure I am not alone as being a big guy on this bike.

dont know your situation but I didnt have a need for a 2 up since the old lady rides my RK so I went to a police special air seat. moved me up a little and back about 2 or 3 inches a lot more comfortable for a taller rider. this was on a FLHT but they are made for the RK also. BTW I am 6'2" and 270lbs I also put on a pair of wider, taller and more pulback bars but unfortunatly i dont remember the name or brand if you are interested in those drop me a message and i can get the info for you.

I am 6'5" with a 38 inch inseam. Here is what I did to mine.

Corbin solo seat (their two up works just as well, just have them cut the front part back a bit to fit you)

Installed a softtail rear riders back rest behind my solo seat. This gives me a short sissy bar to lean back on with a pad. The back mount holes I put in the forward mount points (just above the shocks) and I drilled and tapped the frame for the front mount holes. Works fantastic as the Corbin back rest pushed me forward a few inches.

I went through 6 sets of highway pegs before I took them all and modified a set of the Kurakian double pegs (with the heel rest) to work for me. I now can completely stretch my legs out on the highway and with the lower heel rest less than 12 inches from my floor board I can put my heel on my floor board and my toe on the highway peg heel rest to add to my variable positions.

I can easily do 500 mile days with no real discomfort other than the normal fatigue from a long day.

Chappy

Spacer kit to move the floorboards away from the engine works well to moves them out about 3/4ths a inch also removing the rear shifter and then using the spacer to move it out puts the shifter right back in spot with the floor boards

Oh, yea, I am also using Softbrake's extended shifter levers and the extended brake lever. These help a lot!

Try the HD Tallboy seat. It moves you up a little and back.

20090109_004b.jpg

I have been lookin g at the seat options, it appears that harley tall boy seats come in 2 models the old one that puts you back a 1/2 inch and up an inch and a 1/4 and the ones for the 08 and later models which just puts you back 2 inches and the seat height rreamins the same. I think I like the later model option just moving back 2 inches. Will the new seat fit on the 06 RK Custom? Any ideas of seats that would move me back a couple of inches?

I have been lookin g at the seat options, it appears that harley tall boy seats come in 2 models the old one that puts you back a 1/2 inch and up an inch and a 1/4 and the ones for the 08 and later models which just puts you back 2 inches and the seat height rreamins the same. I think I like the later model option just moving back 2 inches. Will the new seat fit on the 06 RK Custom? Any ideas of seats that would move me back a couple of inches?

No the 08 seats wont fit earlier years because the 08 has a 6 gallon tank it mounts different in the front

Back