2006 Heritage Front Brake Problem

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by kh0027, Sep 14, 2009.

1. kh0027

kh0027 New Member

When my mechanic changed the handle bars, for some unknown reason it created a front brake problem. When the bike is off, I have full brake. As soon as I move it, or start it, I have absolutely no brake unless I pump it 3 or 4 times, then have full brake again. We have bled the lines, changed master cylinder, lines, calipers, re-bled, re-bled and re-bled, to no avail. I asked online experts, who suggested my rotor was warped, but that isn't the case. I've had two mechanics trying to figure it out and they're absolutely stumped, especially because I can have full brake, hold the lever in, and when I start it, lose the brake. Any suggestions? I rode out to Sturgis this way. A little tricky on Needles!

2. springer03

springer03 Active Member

Any problem at all with back brakes???

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  4. Elmosac

Elmosac Active Member

I know it is an 06, but do you have ABS on the bike? Just making sure you have stock brakes.

5. kh0027

kh0027 New Member

No problems with back brakes at all.

No ABS

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
  6. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

my vote is for air in the line. If you had your bars changed then my guess is you had your brake line changed, so unless you have a defective brake line (which I doubt because I would think that you would see it leak if it was bad) then you have air in your line. If your trying to bleed you brake line with out a power bleeder your gonna be fighting it for a while. :s

Oh and by the way I'd find a new Mechanic. Brakes can be a pain but.........