free website stats program 2006 Dyna Low Rider Cam Upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

2006 Dyna Low Rider Cam Upgrade

Jetfixer

Looking at upgrade on cam(s) for better performance. I'm a pretty conservative rider and do some cross country touring with the bike. I am looking at following cams and would like comments, experience, recommendations you migh have.
S&S 510C
Andrews 26H
Headquarters HQ-TC-500-HC
Crane HTC 310-2

Looking at upgrade on cam(s) for better performance. I'm a pretty conservative rider and do some cross country touring with the bike. I am looking at following cams and would like comments, experience, recommendations you migh have.
S&S 510C
Andrews 26H
Headquarters HQ-TC-500-HC
Crane HTC 310-2
IF you want to compare the cams, go to this Chart:

Big Boyz Head Porting - Twin Cam Camshaft Comparator

Make sure you put in YOUR 06 FI bike on each of the comparers, then pick out the cam, you will see the results..

I'd probably go with the 26H for best all around power and RPM use... Look at the intake close and the Less this number, the lower RPM for the cam to work in...

You saying conservative Means Use LESS intake close numbers would work for you the best.. MHO

HC TC 500 looks good also.. Not this familiar

not the Crane 310-2 as the ramps close are fast and Noisy..

R.Bingham is a PRO Here and He may be along with SOLID advice..

I'd wait for Him to reply or PM him to ask. A good Member and His advice is like GOLD.

signed....BUBBIE

The 21 from andrews Might be Better for your ride style as it comes on at Lower RPM and Low end Torque would be more earlier as the closing of the intake valve is sooner Meaning More compression held in the motor than the 27 cam..

While I'm not really a pro I can give you my $0.02 on which cam I would use with your situation. I am going to assume that your bike is still an 88" which in stock form has a corrected compression of 8.00:1 and a cold cranking compression around 160 @ sea level.

Since you said that you are not a rev it up kind of guy, I would go with the Andrews 48H cam over the choices you listed above. The reason for this is two fold. First it has an intake valve close @ 29* which will bump up your compression that will then give you more torque than you presently have. Secondly it has more lift than the cams you listed above and that will carry the power out to the redline. This cam is a non EPA version of the SE 255. It will have basically the same torque that the SE 255 has down low but it will have a broader power band than the SE 255 does.

If you later decide to go to 95-98" this cam will still work well.

Now if you were one who likes to wind it up a little bit I would go with the Cycle-Rama 575. Here are the specs for this cam.
Intake open 15 close 35 .575 lift 100LC 22 overlap
Ex. open 49 close 7 .560 lift 111LC 105.5 LSA

This cam would probably feel about the same below 3000 rpm as stock but it would really open your eyes above that. My second choice after that would be the Crane HTC 310-2. The CR 575 has more lift than the Crane does but will still work with the stock springs.

HTH,
Randall

The specs for the Andrews 48H are:

Cam Intake Exhaust Duration Lift
48H 13/29 43/15 222/238 .548/.548

To R. Bingham,

I went with your recommendation on the Andrews 48H cam. The cam change was completed without problem. Got a really good price on the cams from Kennedy's Cycle ($232) in Illinois. Screaming Eagle adjustable pushrods from Zanotti (again great price). Found the bearings (Torrington/Koyo) B-168 at local bearing supply. Auto Zone blind Bearing puller worked perfectly and my homemade install plate worked well also. Bike really has considerable performance increase (much more torque through all ranges). Originally bike seemed to lug down a little if I got down around 60 in 6th gear. That is long gone. Acceleration from 6th even at lower speeds quick and pulls hard:thanks. thanks again for the great recommendation.
Jetfixer

Hey I'm glad I could help. :newsmile011:
That really is a great cam for 05-06 88" and the 96" motors. It has too much lift to be a bolt in cam for the early 88" motors but for the 05 & 06 which have bee hive springs there is not a better bolt in cam in my opinion.
I hope you enjoy,
Randall

Jetfixer, I have read this thread with great interest. I have a 2006 35th anniversary Super Glide that I want to install a 48H cam in. How do you like the way your bike runs by now? Any problems or disapointments? Did you have to retune the EFI or did it run alright the way it was. I see in the Andrews instructions that most 2006 Dyna's will run alright with bolt in cams without reprogramming. Like you, I am looking for passing power. The 88" motor has more than enough power when spun, but is lacking in the passing (midrange) department. Any hints or comments you have about the 48H cam would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

enginebuddha, I am really pleased with the Andrews 48H grind cams. It gave me just what I was looking for and that was a little more torque/passing power. I wanted a little boost thru all range and I am not a big "high rpm" kind of guy (62 years old i've got it out of my system). I don't have any regrets. As I mentioned, I got a really good price thru Kennedy's Cycle in Illinois. Only thing to give you a heads up on are the special tools for removing cam bearings (if you opt to replace). If you do it yourself, spend the extra bucks for the tools, makes the job a lot easier. regards Jetfixer

Back