2006 Deluxe poor fuel mileage

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by scionracer, Jan 1, 2010.

1. scionracer

scionracer Member

Hello all my bike is getting barely 30 miles to the gallon its bone stock with just over 2000 miles, I am a moderate rider and have been riding a while on various bikes, I know ride style will have alot to do with fuel economy but I think that I would have to be dogging it pretty hard to get such poor mileage any suggestions

2. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

are you dividing gallons into the miles driven?

That seems like a VERY RICH condition.. CHECK your plugs, THEY should be BLACK with carbon using that much gas and exhaust pipe ends SOOTY BLACK..............

NOW what signs of running rich does it show....ANY?

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Have you had the bike since it was new? Have you had it back to the dealer for a service? Has it always gotten this type of milage?

4. scionracer

scionracer Member

i got the bike with 1000 miles on it, it was serviced prior to purchase, the plugs look normal no build up in exhaust, and yes I know how to figure gas mileage just funny runs great but crappy mileage

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I would have to ask your style of riding???
    keeping the RPM up above 3000 rpm? in town jack rabbit starts(on back wheel?) or stop n go style.??? HA HA

I had my 2000 dyna 88"/to95" BUILT and it got 35/36 all the time... SO IT DOES MAKE ME WONDER ALSO!!

If it is running good YOU CAN"T BEAT THAT!!

signed....BUBBIE

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

No gas leaks anywhere? Do you have a teenager who likes to siphon for their car?:s

7. Drumrguy

Drumrguy Account Removed

I have an 05 UC, built motor, 95", cams, heads, SERT, pipes, etc, best I get is 32mpg

8. scionracer

scionracer Member

no kids all gone, my driving style is pretty easy through the gears not on it unless have to be, dont have a tach, but by sound not screaming at all in any gear if anything to easy on her

9. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

You say the plugs look normal. Normal as in Carmel/Tan ?

Check to see if you have any stored/historic codes. Very strange not to have any codes on a bike w/ 2K miles on it,,, plugs look normal,,, tail pipe normal but you only get 30 miles gallon. I get 32 miles a gallon but I am running open loop at 13.2 A/F ratio at cruise speeds.

It's gotta be going somewhere. Is that city/round town mileage?

10. scionracer

scionracer Member

plug are tanish white, not sure how to pull codes but that is highway milage