free website stats program 2005 Ultra starter problem. | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 Ultra starter problem.

willy

Been learning a lot reading the threads for awhile now.My 2005 Ultra fails to start about twice during the riding season.Real random problem.All you get is a loud click at the solenoid.Volt gauge doesn`t drop and lights don`t dim.Checked and cleaned all connections.Made jumper wire for direct connection but it hasn`t acted up since.Has anyone seen this before?

Welcome neighbor Willy;;;; just in case this would happen to me i installed a push button on the end of my solenoid like if relay goes out or handle bar button don't work. why this is happin on your bike sorry don't know....

Willy, If you get the load click (pinion gear being thrown) and you don't get any voltage drop (headlight does not dim) then my 1st guess would be the contactor points (studs & washer) inside the solenoid.

New copper studs and plunger (washer is part of plunger on my bike) should do it & welcome to the forum.

Willy, If you get the load click (pinion gear being thrown) and you don't get any voltage drop (headlight does not dim) then my 1st guess would be the contactor points (studs & washer) inside the solenoid.

New copper studs and plunger (washer is part of plunger on my bike) should do it & welcome to the forum.

I think Mr Electricity AKA Hoople has you covered here, problem has to be in the solenoid

It helps when the OP gives you nice details like the loud click and dim lights.

It makes it so much easier to diagnose the problem ...doesn't it Jack!:p

It helps when the OP gives you nice details like the loud click and dim lights.

It makes it so much easier to diagnose the problem ...doesn't it Jack!:p

It just doesnt get any better than this, I wish all my customers were this user friendly:s

Been learning a lot reading the threads for awhile now.My 2005 Ultra fails to start about twice during the riding season.Real random problem.All you get is a loud click at the solenoid.Volt gauge doesn`t drop and lights don`t dim.Checked and cleaned all connections.Made jumper wire for direct connection but it hasn`t acted up since.Has anyone seen this before?

Disconnect both battery cables (neg off first and on last) and clean them and the battery posts with a wire brush and reinstall them. Quite possible it's a bad connection causing the problem.

Thanks to all for the advice.Bike only has 27,000 on it. Will double check all connections and if it does it again I will check the solenoid contacts.Thanks again and be safe.

Back