free website stats program 2005 sportster brake lite | Harley Davidson Forums

2005 sportster brake lite

drafting28

Light does not come on when using foot rear brake, but does come on when front brake applied. How about a wiring diagram???? 2005 Sportster 883

There should be a switch in a housing on the rear brake pipe either the switch is faulty or the wiring to it
so follow the brake pipe till you find the switch

Brian

Light does not come on when using foot rear brake, but does come on when front brake applied. How about a wiring diagram???? 2005 Sportster 883

Find the switch in the rear brake system. Remove the wires and connect an ohm meter to the terminals of the switch. Does the reading change when the brakes are applied? If not, then the switch is bad. Sister had a bad switch on her 2006 Sporty.

Rear brake light switch!! I've gone thru 4 in the last 2 years on my 05. Indy mechanic says he sees it all the time on these newer type switches. I've stopped replacing them and make sure brake lights work with front brake lever before I go riding( not everyone here will agree with that solution) The switch is pressure activated and seems to be a great place to collect anything foreign in the brake line that gets sent in its direction. Best part is you're only talking about $20 for the switch.

Welcome Drafting28 to the HDTimeline forum and your 1st post. Yes, that rear brake light switch has been working for about 5-6 years, and is like in need of replacing. It is a switch looks like an oil pressure sending unit switch with a bracket for mounting it.

The deal is it is placed in a low lying area, so HHPat is correct, any debris, water and grunge will foul the works internally, as well as rain and mud splashing up on it. If you change your brake fluid every couple of years, you will not have a problem. But brakes fluid is one of those consumables that many HD owners forget as a fluid that needs to be flushed every so often.

Back